The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 9 month old buck who presented with diarrhea 10/11/20. I did a fecal and it was negative. Famancha was a 1. So treated with Probios paste and Spectoguard. On 10/12/20 diarrhea was significantly worse and now had mucus in it. Famancha dropped to a 4. Temp was 102.6. I did another fecal and it was still negative, so I started the buck on Sulfadimethoxine 40% for coccidia. I also repeated Probios paste and Spectoguard along with giving 30mls of pepto, Red Cell, Vitamin B Complex and Normosol R SQ fluids. I have continued all of these meds and the only change I’m seeing is the mucus is gone and the diarrhea isn’t so watery. The buck is still very lively and is eating and drinking great.

*At the same time this buck presented with diarrhea I had a 6 month old start having diarrhea the same day. I gave the exact same meds and on day two of Sulfadimethoxine his diarrhea started firming up and on day 4 it was back to normal pellets*

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is on Coastal Bermuda hay and browse and I've added beet pulp and alfalfa pellets to his diet to help put weight back on him but he eats less than a handful of it a day.
What are you feeding?

Stop all grain, just oat hay or something equivalent.

If he is grazing on lush pasture or brush, remove him from it.

These things and feed increases or change can cause it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,492 Posts
Tummy Trouble Paste:

1/2 teaspoon of cayenne, cinnamon, slippery elm bark powder, and ginger (can be substituted for a slice of raw ginger the size of a quarter about 1/2 cm thick). Blend with 1 raw clove of garlic, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and enough water to drench.

Give 2-4 times daily.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
8 days is a long time to scour. Are you making sure he stays hydrated? We had an issue with with projectile green water scours. Seem to take forever to clear it up. I tried scour halt, even with zero results. I got results by used 3 different herbal blends rotated hourly for several days.
I used LOH parasite formula; LOH back on track and an infection blend. Finally she got to berries..had a few days after of loose to berries again..

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8 days is a long time to scour. Are you making sure he stays hydrated? We had an issue with with projectile green water scours. Seem to take forever to clear it up. I tried scour halt, even with zero results. I got results by used 3 different herbal blends rotated hourly for several days.
I used LOH parasite formula; LOH back on track and an infection blend. Finally she got to berries..had a few days after of loose to berries again..
He's on Normosol R fluids. I'm giving 600mls, SQ, twice a day. I'll look into the herbal meds

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you by chance put out sweetlix mineral bucket ? I did and mine scoured for three days, clean fecals. I pulled it and they firmed up pretty promptly
They have sweetlix loose minerals free choice but they've had then for over a year and I last bought new pails of them about 2 months ago, so it shouldn't be the minerals

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Draxxin usually would be 2 shots 7 days apart. I have never heard giving at 4 days. Interesting. I wonder why? Might ask your vet. Im always interested if new information is out.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did another fecal today and I’m now seeing a lot of strongyle eggs. I dewormed 10/13 with Equimax and Valbazen and gave another dose 10/20. He had about 20-25 eggs on the slide and I usually deworm at 10+ eggs. Should I use another dewormer instead of the two I’ve been using? Or just wait until 10/30 and do another round of the Equimax and Valbazen?

also isn’t the dosage for draxxin 1ml per 100lbs? I noticed on the 2 syringes of draxxin the vet sent home both contain 1ml each and my buck probably currently weighs 35-40lbs.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I would wait 10 days. Do another fecal to determine if more deworming is needed.

Yes Draxxin is 1 cc per 100 #

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,709 Posts
I imagine your vet has him on a higher dose due to his scours and their high utilization of the antibiotic. If you feel it's in error just call the vet and ask. I'm sure they would be happy to talk with you about.the dosage.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He is still improving. His Famancha is now a 2 and he is still passing normal pelleted poop. He’s starting to fill back out and still has a good appetite. Although for the past 3 days he’s been foaming at the mouth. It’s not much and when I first saw it I thought he had choked on his feed but he hadn’t. It seems like it’s happening constantly, anytime I go out to check on him he’s got foam all around his mouth.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts