Diarrhea in 9 month old buck won’t clear up (currently on day 8)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chloe1233, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Chloe1233

Chloe1233 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2017
    I’ve got a 9 month old buck who presented with diarrhea 10/11/20. I did a fecal and it was negative. Famancha was a 1. So treated with Probios paste and Spectoguard. On 10/12/20 diarrhea was significantly worse and now had mucus in it. Famancha dropped to a 4. Temp was 102.6. I did another fecal and it was still negative, so I started the buck on Sulfadimethoxine 40% for coccidia. I also repeated Probios paste and Spectoguard along with giving 30mls of pepto, Red Cell, Vitamin B Complex and Normosol R SQ fluids. I have continued all of these meds and the only change I’m seeing is the mucus is gone and the diarrhea isn’t so watery. The buck is still very lively and is eating and drinking great.

*At the same time this buck presented with diarrhea I had a 6 month old start having diarrhea the same day. I gave the exact same meds and on day two of Sulfadimethoxine his diarrhea started firming up and on day 4 it was back to normal pellets*

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What are you feeding?

Stop all grain, just oat hay or something equivalent.

If he is grazing on lush pasture or brush, remove him from it.

These things and feed increases or change can cause it.

Chloe1233 likes this.

3. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    He is on Coastal Bermuda hay and browse and I’ve added beet pulp and alfalfa pellets to his diet to help put weight back on him but he eats less than a handful of it a day.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He may be sensitive to the beet pulp.
    Stop feeding it and see if it helps.
    Continue the alfalfa pellets in a small amount.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    No feed while scouring, a small amount of alfalfa is okay.

What color and smell are the scours?

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Tummy Trouble Paste:

1/2 teaspoon of cayenne, cinnamon, slippery elm bark powder, and ginger (can be substituted for a slice of raw ginger the size of a quarter about 1/2 cm thick). Blend with 1 raw clove of garlic, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and enough water to drench.

Give 2-4 times daily.

7. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    It is brown and smells like normal feces. It did stink when their was mucus in it but not now.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    8 days is a long time to scour. Are you making sure he stays hydrated? We had an issue with with projectile green water scours. Seem to take forever to clear it up. I tried scour halt, even with zero results. I got results by used 3 different herbal blends rotated hourly for several days.
    I used LOH parasite formula; LOH back on track and an infection blend. Finally she got to berries..had a few days after of loose to berries again..

9. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    He’s on Normosol R fluids. I’m giving 600mls, SQ, twice a day. I’ll look into the herbal meds

Moers kiko boars and happybleats like this.
  10. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Did you by chance put out sweetlix mineral bucket ? I did and mine scoured for three days, clean fecals. I pulled it and they firmed up pretty promptly

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  11. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    They have sweetlix loose minerals free choice but they’ve had then for over a year and I last bought new pails of them about 2 months ago, so it shouldn’t be the minerals

12. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    He was treated with Draxxin and Dex yesterday and my CD Antitoxin came in yesterday and I gave him 10mls. This morning his stool has firmed up a lot. So I’m not sure what was wrong but his diarrhea is clearing up.

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Good to hear. Make sure to give Draxxin again in 7 days!

Chloe1233 likes this.
  14. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    My vet gave me 2 extra doses of draxxin, but he told me to give it in 4 days. Which I believe when I had a kid with aspiration pneumonia he told me to give a dose on day 1,4 and 7.

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Draxxin usually would be 2 shots 7 days apart. I have never heard giving at 4 days. Interesting. I wonder why? Might ask your vet. Im always interested if new information is out.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe the vet wants to keep very high levels of antibiotic in the system, so it really fights it off perhaps?

17. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    I did another fecal today and I’m now seeing a lot of strongyle eggs. I dewormed 10/13 with Equimax and Valbazen and gave another dose 10/20. He had about 20-25 eggs on the slide and I usually deworm at 10+ eggs. Should I use another dewormer instead of the two I’ve been using? Or just wait until 10/30 and do another round of the Equimax and Valbazen?

also isn’t the dosage for draxxin 1ml per 100lbs? I noticed on the 2 syringes of draxxin the vet sent home both contain 1ml each and my buck probably currently weighs 35-40lbs.

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would wait 10 days. Do another fecal to determine if more deworming is needed.

Yes Draxxin is 1 cc per 100 #

19. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I imagine your vet has him on a higher dose due to his scours and their high utilization of the antibiotic. If you feel it's in error just call the vet and ask. I'm sure they would be happy to talk with you about.the dosage.

20. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    He is still improving. His Famancha is now a 2 and he is still passing normal pelleted poop. He’s starting to fill back out and still has a good appetite. Although for the past 3 days he’s been foaming at the mouth. It’s not much and when I first saw it I thought he had choked on his feed but he hadn’t. It seems like it’s happening constantly, anytime I go out to check on him he’s got foam all around his mouth.

happybleats likes this.