Diarrhea in kid upset tummy or Coccidiosis? *Update page 2*

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goat Crazy, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    She has a had diarrhea for 2 days it is like water now only light brown. She is eating and drinking fine. Is not as active, but she doesn't just stand in a corner. She has been eating freshly cut and dried grass (from went we mow the lawn) for about 5 days now, out of six kids she is the only one that has diarrhea. I have been giving her karo syrup with baking soda,salt,and water. Last time I had kids with diarrhea it wasn't quite as bad and cleared up in 3 days, they were eating the same thing freshly cut and dried grass. So do you think the grass is to blame or should I start giving her sulmet?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Diarrhea in 10 week old kid upset tummy or Coccidiosis?

I would give her 6cc of pepto every 4 hours, you really need to get the diarrhea fixed and yes start her on the sulmet, 1cc per 5 lbs now and 1cc per 10lbs starting tomorrow thru Thursday. And watch the other kids too, it's up to you if you want to start them on the treatment "just in case".

3. Re: Diarrhea in 10 week old kid upset tummy or Coccidiosis?

Liz do you use the liquid and give it straight or do you add water? I was just wondering. I use the pills and liquidate them, unless in a holding pen I put in water pan. But the bigger surenges I have I could dose it and then take in water to dulute as I have herd it burns if you don't. Just thought I would ask.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I've used Albon from the vet straight as well as DiMethox(generic albon/sulmet)...I don't dilute, straight from the bottle with a little karo or pancake syrup to help with the bitterness.

5. Re: Diarrhea in 10 week old kid upset tummy or Coccidiosis?

Oh ok, I have also used apple juice in the watering pans/puckets to help.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

probably is the grass but It wouldnt hurt to start on sulmet if you have it.

Pepto - 6ccs every 12 hours would be good to help the scouring so she doesnt get to dehydrated.

7. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio

Well I waited until today to give her albon to see if she would improve at all, but she didn't. Even today she was running around with the other kids, but she is souring really bad.

I put a little bit of stevia in the albon then put it in a syringe (without the needle) stick it in their mouth and down it goes!

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I know this is disturbing but how does the poop smell? Really bad or not so bad? Coccidia will cause really foul smelling poop that is dark. Green colored poop typically indicates intestinal upsets. I have had one kid out of a bunch have a coccidia problem and the others never a problem. My guess is coccidia and you'll probably see improvement in 1-3 days with the Albon.

9. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

Can i get the di-methox powder instead? What is the dose? (I am working on my medicine cabinet)

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

You can use the DiMethox powder, what I do is mix it per cup and use it as a prevention with kids 3-8 weeks old.

Mix 1 and 1/4 teaspoons of powder into 1 cup of water. 1cc per 5 lbs first day and then 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5

11. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

Really, i should use it as a preventative?

I never feed medicated feed to my chickens b/c i haven't had a problem, (not overcrowded or in filthy conditions) i kind of thought the kids were the same, but on the other hand i don't want to take a chance with losing any either.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

all kids here get treated starting at 3 weeks. But only because I have had a bad situation with it. Once cocci is on your property its a problem every year. So I just take charge and treat before I see signs and damage is done

13. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

The more i read the less i think i know. :(

I hope DH doesn't ask me how much these babies are costing me - i just finished shopping at Jeffers for all the rest of the stuff i needed. Sometimes I think human babies need less stuff. :shrug:

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

What I listed above is the treatment of cocci using DiMethox...the prevention doses are much different. For prevebntion it is dosed this way: At 3 weeks old, each kid gets 1 and a 1/2 cc twice a day for 7 days, then its 1 and a 1/2 cc twice one day a week until they are weaned.

I've had a "bought kid" that got an overload 2 weeks after I brought him home, the following year when my 9 babies were turning 7 weeks old, I had one kid get it, so I felt it best to do prevention the last 2 years because once you have it on your place, theres risk that a kid will end up with it.

15. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Pretty much, if you own goats, you also own coccidia and worms. Practically every goat carries at least some coccidia and some worms, just as practically every goat carries pasteurella, clostridium perfringens, e.coli, etc.. They're all basically just a fact of life with goats, and despite the fact that they're all nasty buggers, they're not usually a problem...until they are.

If you have goat kids, you run the risk of a goat kid getting coccidiosis -- regardless of whether or not you've ever had a case of coccidiosis on your place. With this one being 10 weeks, it's in range for coccidiosis...or it could be bacterial enteritis, as that can affect goats of any age.

If it were mine, I'd probably throw some SMZ-TMP at it, as the SMZ part (sulfamethoxazole) would take care of coccidia while the TMP part (trimethoprim) would take care of a bacterial gut infection.

I'd probably also supplement that with pepto (at least 15ml at a time), electrolyte drenches (or SQ fluids, if it becomes necessary), and ProBios.

16. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

So i don't start the prevention until they are three weeks old? Is that b/c they have some protection from their mom?

17. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio

She's all better and nobody else has gotten it! I did give albon to everybody for 3 days though just in case.
    Her pooch looks a little puffy any idea what would cause that?