The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 of my show whether have diarrhea.
and one of them has a high temp not sure why.

I just got back from vacation.
my show whether get 1 cup feed (show master N-timidator ) 3 oz show bloom and 3 oz high octave power fuel day and night.

I put the boys feed in separate bags ready for my uncle to feed (12 bags (3goats) for 4 feeding) he tyed them up right. too.

I come home today and their sick.
they didn't get any hay but I only give them it occasionaly.

goat 1- filmore - born early April - worst diareah - 103.9 temp

goat 2 - mater - born mid-late April - I saw him poop. its clumpy you can see the balls in his poop but it was liquidy - 103.8 temp

goat 3- luigi- born sometime in may- haven't seen him poop but he has no poop on his butt anywhere. 104.4 temp. not sure why.

moms getting plain yogurt to Drench them. would activity be better since it is supposed to help a humans stomach?

should I give them hay? I have alfalfa and cosal.

goat 3 luigi hasn't been eating all his feed since Wednesday or Thursday and the other 2 only at about half of their feed this morning my uncle said. and thy sill had feed in their feeders which isnt normal at all

I have luigi separate by himself in 1 pen and major and filmore in another pen.
should I be worried?
and I'm raised ro go to a prospect show on the 19th (if their better) can I still work them?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
It is sounding like they potentially have pneumonia. Have they ever been treated for coccidia? That could be a potential too. You could have a fecal done and see what they have.

I would at least start with MOM (Milk of Magnesia). 15cc per 60 lbs. I would also stop the grain. Offer them just the hay. A B Complex shot would be good. I would also go for Probios instead of Yogurt but yogurt will be ok.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You take a poop sample into a vet and they will do it for you. I am dealing with cocci right now and my breeder told me to use scour halt @ 10 cc along with the cocci treatment. Not sure on the hay, alfalfa maybe? Don't quote me on that, someone else should know

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
How is their behavior? Do they act lethargic? Still willing to eat?

I would stop grain for now, give scour halt, electrolytes and probios. Figure out what is causing the diarhea. What color is it? Have they had cocci prevention or trearment before. Also, before giving them anything antibiotic/wormer/sulfa drug check the withdrawl date and be sure it is safe. I generall ad a week to anything I see since usually its off label

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
How is their behavior? Do they act lethargic? Still willing to eat?

I would stop grain for now, give scour halt, electrolytes and probios. Figure out what is causing the diarhea. What color is it? Have they had cocci prevention or trearment before. Also, before giving them anything antibiotic/wormer/sulfa drug check the withdrawl date and be sure it is safe. I generall ad a week to anything I see since usually its off label
Oh yes, hay only. No browse and really don't give too nuch hay. A high temperature is a sign of infection. Does that goat have a snotty nose? If so I would assume pneumonia or cold. If its pneumonia then you should start treatment very soon

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Any mucus or blood in feces?

I would assume coccidia and treat with a sulfa- sulmet, dimethox or baycox. Do the five days a long with supportive treatment. You should see an improvement very quickly.
I always start coccidia treatment on any new wethers as soon as I get them home. Even if they aren't showing signs

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Treating for cocci is a good idea, might need to have a fecal done to confirm you are not dealing with other worms as well..or treat with Valbazen 1 cc per 10#...I would also include Pepto to try to dry their bum and sooth their tummy...plenty of electrolytes to keep them hydrated as well as using Probios daily to restore flora.
C D Antitoxin is something I always give when any goat has water runs...
No feed until they are pooping berries..hay/alfalfa only and green leaves..
B complex is a wonderful support vitamin during times of stess

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
my ag teacher (boer goat judge and breeder) told me to do the hay mixures.
he told me to give them 2 cc of la 200
should I give them b complex too if I can get hold of it?
what about the yogurt as a pribo? should I keep giving it?
I don't want to over load them with meds.
he told me once this is all resolved to worm them which I needed to do about now again anyways

I'm not sure how their doing since I had to stay after school for pre cal and am now waiting to get picked up. ill give yall an update when I get home.

as of last night no blood or mucous in feces

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I've heard anywhere from 5 to 15 dollars

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Glad he is firmingup for you...Daily Probios neverhurt : ) Not sure why he suggested LA 200 but once you start the antibiotic you need to do a full course..

he told me once this is all resolved to worm them which I needed to do about now again anyways
Its never a good idea to wait if runs are caused by worms...a fecal will tell you what is needed. If he has Cocci the runs will return...you need that fecal to be sure he is clear..

best wishes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts