The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm helping a friend here. Her new goat has had diarrhea for two days now. Temp is 102. He's been drenched with water and electrolytes. She gave him specto guard. I highly suggested a fecal. Wanting advice on how/what to feed or if there's anything else he should be getting. He's a couple months so we know coccidia is a high possibility and will do a fecal

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Def. have a fecal done...if his poo is dark brown to black most likely cocci...if its green it could be dietary, yellow could be milk scours...At a few months old I assume he is on milk...Stop milk for 12-24 hours, replace with electrolytes if he gets grain, stop until he is pooping solid again

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would definitely get a fecal done ASAP. I lost one of my goats to Cocci Friday night.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eye color is red, doing a fecal today. I do have a question on my goats. I checked everyone's lids last night, one out of 9 is paler pink. Should I treat just him or treat everyone?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Diarrhea- help

Had another thread on this but wanted to start a new one with an update. Day 2&1/2 with diarrhea. Wanting to eat, drenching with electrolytes. Gave 10mL of specto guard ( per the breeder) and gave probios. But he is mopey and lethargic. Doing a fecal today so will know the results this afternoon. Anything in the meantime?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Please keep to one thread. It will be too hard to keep up with what advice has been given if you have 2 threads going.

Offer electrolytes. At this point, you need the fecal done and then treat appropriately. Make sure the fecal includes coccidia.

B Complex and Probios can be done.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
When a goat has the runs, their tummy hurts...they will be a bit more lethargic. Tagamet 200 tablet daily for five consecutive days. Use one Tagamet 200 tablet daily for adult goats. Pepto-Bismol given helps sooth the tummy and help dry the bum.Probios helps restore flora
Finding the reason for the runs is important, starting with a fecal, checking feed /hay for mold, checking if your kids gave "treats" ( yep mine fed corn ..and a lot of it once) Keeping with the treatment is important, keeping then hydrated and hay or green leaves in front of them to encourage eating..no feed...

When you have a goat with pale eye lids,,,again a fecal is important to see if worm load is the cause...red cell, b 12 and high protien feed, alfalfa and green leaves along with 50/50 AVC/water drench ( about 20cc daily)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts