The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two does that kidded not too long ago both with bad diarrhea. Both happened about the same time the one doe has a 1 month old on her side and the other started about two days before she kidded. This is what I've done.... I wormed them waited two days and nothing changed i called vet and told him everything he said try 35cc pepto and probios for 3 days and if nothing changes to call him. Nothing changed so i called him. I took fecals in and the one doe with the oldest kid has barber pole and the other doe has coccidia eggs with 1 barber pole worm so vet said to give the one with the youngest kids 10ml of corrid for 5 days and also give both does 20ml of ivomec plus and 20ml of valbazen for 3 days. Well im on my 4th day of the corrid and 3rd day of the dewormers and nothing has changed. What do i do there not any better? I asked if i could use di methox 12.5% instead of the corrid but he told me it doesn't work for coccidia? There not gonna live long like this and i don't know what else to do. Any help please

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would use the di methox instead of Corid. Also, Red Cell, 6 cc per 100 lbs if anemic, baking soda along with probiotics, electrolytes. Have they had CD-T vaccinations? Keep giving kaolin pectate (pepto bismol) until stool is normal.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are still eating hay and drinking water fine and there not skinny and they have had there cdt. I will switch her to the di methox for 5 days and get them back on 35cc of pepto. Do you think i should do them both with the di methox? Couldn't hurt right? It just won't stop. I will give nutra drench too.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Yes switch to Dimethox 1cc per 5lbs the first day and 1cc per 10lbs for the following 4 days.

Remove all grain - give as much hay as they will eat. Did you recently up their grain amount prior to the runs starting?

Dont forget probios and even a bit of nutri drench.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No they are off grain and have been off for a cpl days now. Its just not a pretty site with kids and all. Hopefully this di methox will do the trick

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
all good advice...and yes I would treat both..I would also give C D Antitoxin until they are all but dry...helps keep the toxins down while the rumen is off..keeping the hydrated is important as well as they fight the runs.//.here is a good recipe

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have one that kidded a week ago doing same thing. Been giving nutri drench pro bios and I wormed today. I was told to give 3cc of pepto, but I see you are using a much higher dose.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes im using 35cc of pepto but i have a big bore momma too so im not sure. And yes i think the di methox is safe. I pulled the kids is this a good idea? I thought it would make the mom better but i guess it works both ways. Idk

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
Its fine for the kids..pulling them increases stress and mom doesnt need any more stress...I would leave kids on mom ;)

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But they get diahrea all over them and i didn't want them getting what the mom had plus the one mom doesn't get up barely at all for the kid to feed. So i am bottle feeding them.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
awe I see...well if the babies are in need....I thought you just removed them to give mom a break...but if she can not care for them then you are doing the right thing ;)

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one isn't pooping much and the other one does not stop and its a dark Forrest green color. They are stalled up so no pasture just alfalfa grass mix no feed and fresh water. There both getting worse the one doesnt get up much anymore and it seems like there both going downhill, i hope this di methox starts working cause i dont know what else to do.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
Off feed is good, hay only..offer electrolytes ...Have you thought of bacteria Diarreah?? Neomyin could help. Its a safe oral antibioitc that will kill the bactereia in the gut..they will need a week at least of Porbios once the treatmentis done.. The Dimethox wont hurt..and hopefully helps.butif not consider this as your next step...
here is a link with a small but useful list of causes..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.Ub__F_aDTL8
Dark forest green usually means enteriotoxima..take a look and see if there is a fit..

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
Dark forest green was Coronavirus in Shep. We did SMZ-TMZ tabs to help prevent secondary infections. They did help dry him up fairly quick. He did recover but, it affected his heart. Don't suppose you have access to an electron microscope?
I would definitely treat for bacteria at this point.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The vet did fecals and told me one had barber pole and the other was mostly coccidia with one barber pole worm but I've done wormed the crap out of um with different workers too.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
her temp is too low...get her in the sun, rub her briskly.....she needs C D Antitoxin, her system is shutting down...probios and b complex....if her head is up warm electrolytes and drench her fluids...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts