The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to treat goat diarrhea? I have been thinking the one that has it, it would eventually go away, depending upon what she is eating. But it has lasted over 2 weeks..... Advise please... Sam

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Sam, if it's a young kid then coccidia could be a cause for diarrhea, however most goats will get it with food changes such as over indulgence of fresh greens or grain.
Best way to fix the issue is to identify which goat has it first, then only feed hay and provide water, getting a fecal done to rule out coccidia or worms would be best.

Pepto Bismol dosed at 12-15cc for adults every 6 hours helps coat the stomach and bind the poop but it doesn't help with figuring out why the goat has diarrhea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you... Only one out of my four has it and she is about 6 months old Boer.... I'll try the Pep-to Biz bit a day or two..... Sam

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
You really need to have a fecal test done to include coccidia. Dietary problems usually don't last 2 weeks. You probably have a worm problem.

·
14,615 Posts
Karen is right. Change in diet shouldnt last that long.
The pepto will help but it's only a temporary fix, it masks the real issue which is either worm load or cocci.
Having fecal done for both ( I think you have to specifically ask for cocci)
In the meantime she should have 12% Dimethoxine for the full five days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts