The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted last week about two does with scours. They're fine now, but I now have three others who've gone thru it and it's tapering off. There was about a week's time between the two episodes and each case seems to last about 3 or 4 days. I will not be surprised to see it happen to some more in the coming days. I've come to the conclusion that it's a viral thing. My son reminded me that it's happened a couple of times in summers past and slowly worked it's way thru the whole herd. Yeah, it's been summer here for a month in spite of the calendar. Here FYI are the salient features of this little bug.

Not feed related. Grass hay and minerals, no change.
rapid onset. Berries a.m. > soft poo at noon > hershey squirts by evening
negative fecals
Good appetites and thirst
no change in activity
no fever, good cuds, good activity
then it quickly reverses itself.
no apparent relapse. Once they've had it they're done.

I have come up with a supportive concoction. In an old probios tube I put a squirt of probios, a squirt of equine electrolyte paste and a teaspoon of slippery elm bark. A bit of water and stir it up into a paste with an ice pick. Force it down them 2x a day. I have no reason to believe that it actually helps but it makes me feel like I'm doing something. If another batch of does comes down with this I am going to pick out the strongest, youngest one and NOT treat her and see if there is any difference.
edit to add: One of the currently sick ones is my old, rickety herd founder who stays apart in separate pens from the rest as they like nothing better than picking on her. She has separate feeders and water. She could I guess pick it up nose-through-the-fence, but I'm thinking maybe flies.

·
Registered
31,418 Posts
you could be having a bit of bacteria diarrah..neomycin is great for that..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could be having a bit of bacteria diarrah..neomycin is great for that..
Neomycin administered how?
Wouldn't bacterial cause fever and related symptoms?

·
Registered
31,418 Posts
Neomycin is a safe oral antibiotic. I had a small little doe with no fever but the runs and generally not feeling well..after all I did for her neomyin is what kicked it..you do three days treatment and then restore the flora in the gut with probios...
if all else fails..this might just work :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts