Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dragonfly farms, Jan 17, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I got a new doe last sunday, she is 3 years old and had 2, 4 day old babies with her I also got a new 1yr old buck from the same place. They are all being housed in the same barn and pasture together. They were never given grain, and I am pretty sure the previous owner said they really only foraged, no hay. Where they are is pretty eaten down, so we offer hay and grain once a day. I know its important for the mamma to get grain to keep her milk production and weight up, so we got her started on grain slowly, we increased a little each night until we got up to giving her some in the am and pm (this started on thurs). Yesterday we wormed (dectomax .02 per pound, SQ) the two new adults, their eyes were very pale. I have not yet given the, CDT, I am trying to do things slowly, especially since she has two little ones. While we wormed her she gave us some nice big berries. Later that day I noticed that her berries turned to solid dog type dropping and now its full on diarrhea. I was hoping that by this morning it would subside, but it appears that she has been runny all night. The new buck was also wormed and he is still producing berries.

I have thought about getting her some oats and probios or some pepto (i think i have some) what do you think?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could be the effects of the wormer.

try giving her 6-10ccs of pepto and some probios

do this for 12 hours and if you dont see improvement then I suggest you take a sample to the vet on monday morning and find out if there is a worm that your wormer isnt taken care of or if she is dealing with coccidia.

3. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    the effect of the wormer is what i was thinking.

Will do with the pepto and probios, and we shall see what happens!

4. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    okay i did not find any pepto in the house so hubby will bring some home with him today. I did go out and get her some probios, and she will get the pepto as soon as hubby is home. While i was in the pen i noticed that there was a diarrhea dropping, and then there was a 1/2 diarrhea, 1/2 berries one. I am going to hope that her body is working this thing out and we get back to berries soon!

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it probably is on its own but the probios will be a good aid to that.

6. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Well this morning I went into Petunia's stall and found a bunch of droppings that were all 1/2 liquid and 1/2 berries, there may have even been one full berries, it was hard to tell, she apparently didnt move around too much!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well thats progress.

so is it like doggy poo yet? clumpy berries? or watery?

8. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    okay i think we're good, i didnt notice any bad poops! I saw lots of berries everywhere but no plops!

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good to hear!

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That's great! I'm glad to hear that! These goats always keep us worried!

12. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I keep slippery elm bark powder around for diarrhea in everyone (goats, dogs, people) and 1/4 teaspoon dumped in the mouth of a goat a couple times a day really helps. Glad she got better!

Jan