Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by laura, Jun 10, 2010.

1. laura

laura New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I confirmed this morning one of my adult does, Philomena, has a bad case of diarrhea. I found some on Sunday in the paddock but was unable to determine who was responsible. This morning it was very obvious as she was laying in it.

I have not changed their feed. She birthed two kids in May and they are all doing fine. She had been vet checked over a month ago and was fine; at which time she received all of her vaccinations including Tetanus shot and was wormed. None of the other does or kids seem to be affected at this time.

The weather has been wacky, if that has any bearing. Hot, cool, rainy, etc. There is no vegetation growing in the area which she could have eaten. Although, on Saturday, a guest brought their 8-year old granddaughter over to visit. Unbeknownst to all of us she let herself into the pasture and fed them all roasted peanuts, which they love. Could this be a residual problem from too many peanuts? Philomena is a food hog.

What could this be caused by? Do I need to separate her? Meanwhile, I put a call in to the vet.

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Does she have a fever?, could be bacteria, viruses, parasites What color is the poo, if it is green than it is a change in eating. She may have eaten way too many peanuts, kids are happy when goats ate eating. I would wait and see and keep her off grain for a few days and just feed good hay. If stools are watery you have to make sure she does not dehydrate in this heat. Good luck!!

3. laura

laura New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    The grossness is brown, not green. A huge pile. No evidence of mucus in the stool. I haven't taken her temp.

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    If she is showing no outwardly signs of distress it may be something she ate did not agree with her , just keep an eye on her and take her temp to be sure.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As Mully said, get a temp on her...any higher than 103.5 I would start her on an antibiotic, having a vet run a fecal would be good too. In the meantime, you can give her 30cc of Pepto Bismol to help the runny butt and just give her hay and provide her with water...I offer Gatorade if they don't seem to be drinking enough. Dosing her with some probiotic paste or even yogurt would benefit the gut upset too.

6. laura

laura New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going out to get the pepto. She is eating and drinking very well. But, laying down more than normal. Still waiting for the vet to call. To be on the safe side I'm going to move her away from the rest of the herd until I can confirm what is wrong.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz.....

hope your goat.... gets back to normal very soon... :hug:

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well said Liz. Also, do you have any type of electrolyte powder or something to put in her water to keep her hydrated and keep her energy up? It's something to think about in the future. I've used it on several occasions with success. I think you can get it from Jeffers.

Good luck and keep us posted on her!

9. laura

laura New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Well, it appears the remedies have had a positive effect. After administering probiotic paste, gatorade in her water, pepto-bismal and a dish of yogurt her stool looks like normal this morning. Nonetheless, I am going to keep her segregated from the others until tonight and see how she does. Thanks for all of the awesome support. You guys are the best! What a fantastic resource and support center.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad to hear that she's making berries again!! Keep her on hay for another day or so and then offer her a small amount of her normal ration and see how it affects her. Pepto is great for keeping a messy butt dry and gives them time to sort out the conflict going on in the gut without dehydration.

11. SilverStarRanch

SilverStarRanch New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Everson WA
    What's the cc to body weight for pepto? I have a doe with the same problem ugh sometimes my goats are so problematic lol

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Its the same per pound as an adult (human) ;)

be sure to check the cause of the runs...green tint could mean dietary dark brown to black could be worm issue ect...

best wishes

13. SilverStarRanch

Oct 19, 2013
    Everson WA
    Eye color is good dewormed a couple days ago also gave a dose of sulmet too and red cell with vitamin B complex

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you start sulmet, then you should follow through with the full 5 day treatment.

15. SilverStarRanch

Oct 19, 2013
    Everson WA
    Of course :-D I just got thiamine too just in case and I grabbed a tube of probios too