The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have a four month old doeling, Nubian alpine cross. Got diarrhea the end of last week, I was in the middle of baling hay so I didn't catch it right at first. It seems to have cleared now, but she seems weak and lethargic. My best guess is she got a little too much alfalfa. Her appitite never waivered. Thoughts?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I would give her C D Antitoxin to kill any toxins in her gut and B complex to help her energy and appitite...and Probios to restore flora in her rumen

does she have any temp??

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would suggest having a fecal done as well......you never can be too careful!:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, what are your thoughts if she went from a little weak to so bad I thought she was dead when I went out to milk? And what do I need to do for the rest of my herd?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No place around is stil open to get meds, ad with th way she looks now it won't be an issue by morning

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
get her hydrated....this will kill her faster than most things...
If you have B complex give her that...Also try Milk of Magnsia (M O M) to help bind any toxins in her gut...if you dont have C D Antitoxin..8 cc..it might cause the runs but let it run its course cleaning the toxins...
if you donthave Probiotics give her yogurt..check for fever

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or any molasses you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm getting tired of hard lessons learned. No place was still open to get meds, used what I had on hand and she didn't last till morning. I didn't know that having the runs would turn their rumen bacteria toxic. My best guess is she got the runs from more than her fair share of alfalfa. Other than being careful of their alfalfa intake, is there anything I need to do for my other doelings?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm getting tired of hard lessons learned. No place was still open to get meds, used what I had on hand and she didn't last till morning. I didn't know that having the runs would turn their rumen bacteria toxic. My best guess is she got the runs from more than her fair share of alfalfa. Other than being careful of their alfalfa intake, is there anything I need to do for my other doelings?
I'm sorry to hear about your baby:( I would get some CD antitoxin to keep on hand and maybe have a fecal done on one of your other goats; then just watch everyone....maybe it was just something that happened and won't affect your other babies.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Im so sorry you lost her..they are painful trials we all go through...it never gets easy...
I agree with Still...keeping a few things on hands help..like C D Antitoxin help in the battle,...
getting a fecal done to be sure thats not the underlying problem...once you know if you aredealing with a worm issueyou know how to move forward...a few things other then CD Antitoxin to keep on hand are probios to help restore flora, a good antitbiotic, Pen G ,Thiamine, B complex....whenyou need some of these things.they can be hard to get in an emergency..Thiamine for instance needs to be through a vet...C D Antitoxin usually needs to be ordered...its hard to find..Personally I think everyone of us needs to talk to our local Tractor supply and let them know how important it is to keep that in stock....

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
Are you sure she didn't have coccidia? I'm sorry for your loss. There could have been more going on than just eating a lot of alfalfa.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure she didn't have coccidia? I'm sorry for your loss. There could have been more going on than just eating a lot of alfalfa.
Ok it's looking like it is coccidiosis. Just read that crowding and wet conditions can cause it. With spring kids, our herd grew faster than ou pens. And it's been a good rainy spring.
Have another one sick. Headed to tractors to get the meds listed in this article http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/coccidiosis06.html
Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
You are movinginthe right direction.....I think its very wise treating for Cocci...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts