The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to this and worried about one of my new goats. I bought four Nigerian Dwarf goats and they all seem to be doing well, except for one. I have a wether and buck who are doing well in their area, and a doe with and a doe without diarrhea. It is the smaller goat that has diarrhea which concerns me a little more. She is less active than the others but eats, drinks and follows the other doe grazing the field. I was under the impression that they were only pastured and feed hay, supplemented by minerals, and kelp. She told me her goats generally do not like the Purina brand goat mineral so I decided to wait until Monday and go to the better feed store the next town over (we live in a small town). Did three days without minerals cause it? It got in the mid to upper 90's for the first day, but she seemed to stay in the shade with the other doe which didn't seem to mind. She is eating and drinking and walking around, but doesn't seem as lively as the others. No place is open today but should I buy some Nutridrench tomorrow? Goat Pro-biotics? Yogurt? None of the goats have been wormed although she gave me some copper bolus. She said they would be easier to dose at a slightly larger weight. She was born 3/3/13.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Probably the stress of the new home brought on a coccidia bloom. I would treat her for coccidia. A B Complex shot wouldn't hurt along with Probios daily for a week.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
It sounds ike she does not feel well...It could be dietary runs..do to the change in graze...But she is at the right age for Cocci...Sulmet or Dimethox are good OTC choices...I would worm everyone with Valbazen (1 cc per 10# orally) if under 6 months old and Ivomec plus (1 cc per 40# sub Q) for those who are older and treat for cocci...about 6 cc Pepto will help her dry up and soth her tummy...
Make sure to make feed changes slowly...as long as she has the runs feed hay only..make sure she is drinking well..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to sweep out the goat house and see if she's still having diarrhea. Out of all of the products listed, what can I buy without going to a vet?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
All that were mentioned can be bought over the counter. Sulmet, DiMethox and Valbazen. Also Ivomec can be bought at TSC too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to work today so my wife went to the ag store and they sold her: Probios, Nutidrench, and Durvet Lamb and Kid Paste. I gave her the lamb and kid paste and Nutridrench about six hours ago. She had pretty bad diarrhea earlier though. She was walking and wagging her tale, eating and drinking. Messier butt though. Is the Lamb and Kid Paste the same as probios? Should I give everyone probios?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Go to TSC grab a small package of Dimethox powder. Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of powder with 1 cup of water. Mix good and then drench the goat 1cc per 5lbs for 5 days (some will go day 2-5 at 1cc per 10lbs but found that it wasnt always as effective to give a lesser amount).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to another feed store and they didn't have anything besides Probios (which I already have). They said any medication won't work well before you reintroduce good bacteria. They offered me something called Pig Scour or something to use off label to help dry her up, but I think I'll try Pepto? Do I need pill form or liquid? She is accepting of syringes in her throat, and understands to swallow so I could give her liquid pepto?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
You can give pepto orally ..most love it and will suck it right out of the syringe..so hold on tight lol...Feed store folks do not always and I say rarely understand the needs of a goat..
pepto will help sooth the tummy but she needs treatment for cocci..sulmet is Sulfamethazine Sodium...I can not find the brand name Sulmet in my area but I can find sulfamethazine Sodium at a bovine (cow) supply store...Dimethox is generic for Albon...any of these sulfa drugs will help with Cocci...Corid works as well and would be my very last resort for treatment..If it is all you can find..follow doses carefully and treat with B complex after treatment, Corid is a B 1 inhibitor so you need to supplement her B 1 (thiamine)...all of these are a five day treatment..
You canalso order for next time Baycox from horseprerace.com..it is the current New Best ever treatment for cocci..but your little doe does not have the luxury of time for ordering..so sulfa drugs are your best bet this time around...
here is a link to read allabout cocci and to show each medication and how to use it

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
feed store is incorrect!

You need to treat the cause before the diarrhea will go away! I really wish feed store employees wouldnt try to play vet! This just irrates me.

Follow the suggestions of happybleats on treatment options. A lot of times you can find liquid sulmet in the poultry isle. Thats also 1cc per 5lbs for 5 days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I went to the bigger feed store in the next town. They knew what Coccidiosis is and recommended/only carried Corid. I also bought vitamin B complex injectable solution. Questions: Do I need to treat all healthy goats with Corid too like the label says? Do I wait until my five day treatment is up to give them the b complex? I'm thinking it would be better to use Corid it as a drench instead of putting it in their water?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Yes use as a drench, no water added...Tennesseemeatgoats suggest using thiamine daily with corid treatment... The Vit. B complex should be just fine, however if you see symptoms of Polio you will need Thiamine..
here is a link on dose
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/corid-dosing-questions-134050/

scroll down to Pams post, the last post on this thread : )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 20% Soluble powder. It gets mixed 3oz per 1 qt water. Than the solution works 1 fl oz/100 lbs. One fluid ounce equals 29.57 cc. So for a ten pound goat I divide 29.57/10 which equals 2.9 cc per ten pound goat...right?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Yep that is good math work : ) Im sure going to 3 cc will be just fine , easier to measure..

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yeah thats pretty close - I usually tell people 1cc per 4lbs so 3cc for 10lbs would work just fine.

I wouldnt give the Bcomplex till after the 5 day treatment. Corid works by inhibiting the thiamine that that cocci feed off of (basically starving the coccidia to death). But building it back up in the goat after is good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Diarrhea got worst yesterday. She would only have very small squirts of watery liquid. She didn't seem well (moving slowly, laying down etc), and looked uncomfortable. $120 later a vet confirmed a fecal sample contained a lot of cocci. He recommends I do a five day treatment followed by a 21 day prevention course on everyone.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Glad your vet confirmed cocci...now you know for sure how best to treat...cocci causes inflamation in the gut which is painful..1/2 a Tagamet 200 pill can be given to help with that for five days and pepto to sooth the stomach lining and help with the runs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts