The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goat kid and he is weaned and he weighs about 40-50 lbs. His is kiko boer cross. I have just notice he has scours. He twin is always with him and he doesn't have it! What couldhe possibly have and what are ways to cure it that aren't to expensive. Thanks!

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Could be dietary ( greenish tint), worms or cocci (dark with sometimes blood or mucus)....

a fecal can determine if you are dealing with worms or cocci or both...
Valbazen is a good broad base wormer, cover many worms including Tape
Sulmet or Dimethox are both good cocci treatments..I would treat all kids ..cocci does not always present the runs, and if one kid has it..usually all kids have it..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks! I checked and it's a greenish color. Is tar bad? Or does it just mean it had a diet change and it will get over it?

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
if you changed feed then stop grainuntil he berries up, then re introduce slowly..if he had too much grain/graze then keep him on hay only until he berries up...I would also treat with C D Antitoxin to be sure his rumen is protected from toxins, Pepto to help dry his bum and sooth his tummy and probiotics : )
is he doing well other wise?? Hydrated?
If you are unable to have a fecal done, I would also suggest worming them both if they have not been wormed or treated for cocci resently with the meds mentioned above

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
either one can bring on the runs...giving new feed too fast or giving too much grain even if he was used to it...maybehe got piggie and ate more than usual.. either way he should not have any grain at all until he is back to berries then he can have grain again..just re introduce it back slowly..even if its the same feed he has had before..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im having the same problem here with a baby borer goat...hes approx 4 mos old....liquid to muddy feces...weve been trying everything.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Im having the same problem here with a baby borer goat...hes approx 4 mos old....liquid to muddy feces...weve been trying everything.
when cocci, worms and dietary issues are ruled out then you treat for bacterial diarreah....neomycin is a safe oral antibiotic that you give for 3 days to deal with e-coli and other bacterial infections of the gut....

I recommend having a fecal done including looking for cocci (which you have to ask for) to be sure your wormer is working...a few years ago we had cocci here that our regular treatment was not dealing with..we ordered baycox and that cleared it...sometimes our wormers stop working and that is when we need to change

If you still need advice on how to get things dried up...be sure to begin your own thread so you don't get lost in the mix...best wishes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts