The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rusty
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my little does is due anyday, and she did not want to go to the barn with the other girls tonight and wanted to stay off to herself. She was in a corner of the pen curled up , but I thought I heard her crying and she was making a few little noises sort of like she was "peeping" like a little chicken or something. It is really cold here tonight in Texas and when I looked at her bottom she looked a little like her vulva was open a bit, so I decided to pick her up and take her to the kidding barn. When I picked her up she had this really loose diarrhea behind her although she has not acted ill or anything in the last few days. Has anyone ever seen a doe have a bout of diarrhea before they are about to kid.? Have never seen this before in my goats.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
How soon is she due...
diarrhea is not normal anytime....
Could be she ate something to set her rumen off..
**give pepto (same as a human dose per pound)
**Give C D antitoxin
**watch to see she is chewing a cud..
**watch for grinding of teeth to indicate gut pain
**keep her hydrated by offering both fresh water and electrolytes...
**take her temp (101.5-103.5 is normal range)

·
Rusty
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should be due sometime this week I think. She seems okay otherwise and has been up and running around all afternoon. Thanks, she has electrolytes in her water and will give her pepto and see if that fixes it. I gave her CDT booster a week ago, should I give it again?

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
its good she is behaving normal other wise...the pepto should help then. Once she kids I would worm her with Valbazen (1 cc per 10# orally) or ivomec plus (1 cc per 40# sub Q or 1cc per 30# orally) the stress of kidding lowers the immune systemand offers the worms a door to multiply and take over...keep and eye on her lower inner lids for anemia..you want deep pink to red :)

CD&T is annually unless its her first shot..then you repeat in 21 days..other wise she is good to go...: )

CD&T is not the same as CD Antitoxin..CD&T is a toxoid its job is to protect...goes in slow,,works long where the antitoxin, wich is to treat, goes in like the marines..does it job and leaves the body quick...lol...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/toxoidAntitoxin.html

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Rusty
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is behaving normally all day today, no more diarrhea episode, so not sure what that was about. She still is insisting on sleeping outside the barn in a spot alone. Same spot every night. But I'm glad the diarrhea episode is over.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
couldhave just eaten something or too much of something..glad it resolved itself : ) Happy Kidding!!

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
She still is insisting on sleeping outside the barn in a spot alone. Same spot every night. But I'm glad the diarrhea episode is over.
It looks like she has picked her kidding spot and is giving it some serious thought. I have a few does who isolate anywhere from a day to a couple of days prior to kidding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.