The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 week old with a temp of 104.7 and diarrhea. Being down with shoulder surgery I just notice this yesterday eve. (I slipped off to to watch my helper at the feeding yesterday) I know I needed a fecal but under circumstances I gave, 5 ml Cydectin, 1-1/2 ml banamine and 5 ml B complex. The famacha scale didn’t look too bad. I just notice the diarrhea and her standing off from herd. I lost one to pneumonia about 3 weeks ago and just nervous. I don’t know if she is eating or not as I didn’t get there on time to watch them eat. Ideas please.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I have a 7 week old with a temp of 104.7 and diarrhea. Being down with shoulder surgery I just notice this yesterday eve. (I slipped off to to watch my helper at the feeding yesterday) I know I needed a fecal but under circumstances I gave, 5 ml Cydectin, 1-1/2 ml banamine and 5 ml B complex. The famacha scale didn't look too bad. I just notice the diarrhea and her standing off from herd. I lost one to pneumonia about 3 weeks ago and just nervous. I don't know if she is eating or not as I didn't get there on time to watch them eat. Ideas please.
You gave a 7 week old 1.5ml of banamine? Thats an awful lot, That's enough for a 150lb goat the dosage is 1ml per 100lbs. You really need to get the goats weight before giving any medicine.
You do need a fecal with coccidia. That's the likely culprit.(coccidia) have you had your helper treat for it? You can use scour check or scour halt for the diarrhea. Was she eating new lush greens? It might of been too rich for her.
I hope your shoulder is healing. I know how frustrating it is to be a one armed bandit for an extended period. Been there.
I hope the baby feels better.
I'd also dose baby with some probios,to help settle her rumen asap

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Baby may need antibiotics as well. 104.7 is a tad high.

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have the kids had coccidia prevention/treatment? If you're running like 5+ kids then they all need to have coccidia medication around 3-4 weeks of age and likely repeated at 6-8 weeks or feed medicated grower pellet in a creep feeder.
They had Cocci treatment about 4-5 weeks ago. It's time for their. 2nd go around. My helper can't do the treatment because of limitations. I'll start the 2nd treatment this evening. I am using Corrid liquid with is 30cc to a quart of water. I think it then is 20cc per 50lb goat? I'll have to check this. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
That is a high temp, it may be pneumonia on top of cocci/worms.
All causing low immunity.

This goat may be anemic as well.

Can you get a fecal for worms and cocci right away, tell them it is an emergency to get results quickly or take the goat into the vet?

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a high temp, it may be pneumonia on top of cocci/worms.
All causing low immunity.

This goat may be anemic as well.

Can you get a fecal for worms and cocci right away, tell them it is an emergency to get results quickly or take the goat into the vet?
When I went down this I carried Corrid mix and gave her. Also took temp, it was 103.3 F
I tried to get a fecal and she had nothing to give. I gloved up and went in, no fecal to be got. I gave her the Corrid mix about 15 cc and turn her loose. She weighs about 40-45 pounds. At the time I had no help and one an a piece arm. Bottom fell out for about 15 minutes of hard rain. Afterward my helper came back and said she ate a little when he fed up earlier. She probably had done unloaded. I have a doctor apt. In the morning at 8:30am and one at 2:30pm, I'll be gone all day. I'll check her again tomorrow evening. I'll try then to get another fecal.

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seeings how you have already treated her with corid, the fecal test may read a little wrong. Go ahead and continue the corid for the remainder of 4 days, it won't hurt her.

Collect a sample if you can.

Is she anemic?
When I checked her famacha the outer edge of her eye lid looked good but when I pulled it Down it kinda looked dark . Not pink just dark. Now remember I'm having to do this with one hand. I normally apply a little pressure to the eye and roll the bottom eye lid down slightly but with one arm in sling it's not easy to do. I start Cocci treatment on all 13 of them today because I where I have some help thru the week end and Monday. Her temp yesterday evening was 103.3 F. If I can get a fecal this evening when I get in do you think it would be ok then to take to vet? I could maybe get it this evening and take in the morning. Just refrigerate over night. ???
I will give some redcell this evening also and maybe some probiotics?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
When I checked her famacha the outer edge of her eye lid looked good but when I pulled it Down it kinda looked dark . Not pink just dark. Now remember I'm having to do this with one hand. I normally apply a little pressure to the eye and roll the bottom eye lid down slightly but with one arm in sling it's not easy to do. I start Cocci treatment on all 13 of them today because I where I have some help thru the week end and Monday. Her temp yesterday evening was 103.3 F. If I can get a fecal this evening when I get in do you think it would be ok then to take to vet? I could maybe get it this evening and take in the morning. Just refrigerate over night. ???
I will give some redcell this evening also and maybe some probiotics?
Yes you can refrigerate the fecal.
Yes probiotics

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well got in from doctor and went t pens to give the prevention cocci to all kids and cure for my sick goat. Checked her temp and it was 104.9F. I tried to get a fecal and she had none to give again. Her eyes don't look anemic so I am leaning toward pneumonia because of all the rain and cold nights we had and now 80 degree nights. After checking all things and giving probiotics I decided on something for pneumonia. All I have is Noromycin 300 and LA 200. I decided to go with the Noromycin 300. According to dose she weighs about 40-45lbs. I gave her 1-1/2ml of Noromycin 300. It says to give for 4 days straight , once a day. It is I/M and it must sting as she screams when given. Now I'm thinking if she don't eat I may need to tube her. She doesn't appear dehydrated, just kinda slow moving. She acts like she might eat a little with her mama but still nothing for fecal. Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
The goat has pneumonia and she won't feel well.
Do you have banamine? Give her a little bit of that for a few days it will help her appetite and bring down her temp.

Oxytetracycline products, do burn giving it. SQ is the best way.

1 cc per 20 lbs.
So be sure to get a closer proper dosage, never under dose.
It says 4 days, but, I would do at least 5 days minimum.

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The goat has pneumonia and she won't feel well.
Do you have banamine? Give her a little bit of that for a few days it will help her appetite and bring down her temp.

Oxytetracycline products, do burn giving it. SQ is the best way.

1 cc per 20 lbs.
So be sure to get a closer proper dosage, never under dose.
It says 4 days, but, I would do at least 5 days minimum.
Went down this evening and took temp and it was 106.4 F . I gave the Corrid 15ml and probiotics. Also gave the Noromycin 300 at 1-1/2 ml. Before the medicine giving, my helper had fed all the goats and I saw her eat a little of the oats and alfalfa pellets with Boss mixed in, with her mother. Also she ate a little hay. I'm not sure the thermometer I used read correctly. I'll check with a vet type mercury thermometer tomorrow. Maybe I should give 1/2 ml of banamine in the morning? I also saw her go and drink water after eating a little hay and the oats/alfalfa mix. She weighs about 35-40 lbs. I may take my scales tomorrow and get an accurate weight. It's just with one hand even with a helper it's not always easy to do.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went down this evening and took temp and it was 106.4 F . I gave the Corrid 15ml and probiotics. Also gave the Noromycin 300 at 1-1/2 ml. Before the medicine giving, my helper had fed all the goats and I saw her eat a little of the oats and alfalfa pellets with Boss mixed in, with her mother. Also she ate a little hay. I'm not sure the thermometer I used read correctly. I'll check with a vet type mercury thermometer tomorrow. Maybe I should give 1/2 ml of banamine in the morning? I also saw her go and drink water after eating a little hay and the oats/alfalfa mix. She weighs about 35-40 lbs. I may take my scales tomorrow and get an accurate weight. It's just with one hand even with a helper it's not always easy to do.
I think banamine is 1 cc per 100lb so I will give her about a tad less than a 1/2ml?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have done a stupid thing, in a rush to go and get my truck that had been in the shop, I went down with my helper to give the sick goat her Cocci treatment and Noromycin 300, and to give the Cocci prevention for the rest of the kids, about 5:00 pm. While I was preparing the medicine the phone rang and it was the guy at the garage saying my truck was ready. Needing it badly for transportation I told him I would be there before they closed at six o’clock. He is 25 miles away. Long story short, I gave the treatment and meds to my sick goat but forgot to give the preventive doses to the other little ones. (12 of them) my question is now can I give it this morning and again this evening to stay on the 5 day course. Just moving to fast I guess.

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have done a stupid thing, in a rush to go and get my truck that had been in the shop, I went down with my helper to give the sick goat her Cocci treatment and Noromycin 300, and to give the Cocci prevention for the rest of the kids, about 5:00 pm. While I was preparing the medicine the phone rang and it was the guy at the garage saying my truck was ready. Needing it badly for transportation I told him I would be there before they closed at six o'clock. He is 25 miles away. Long story short, I gave the treatment and meds to my sick goat but forgot to give the preventive doses to the other little ones. (12 of them) my question is now can I give it this morning and again this evening to stay on the 5 day course. Just moving to fast I guess.
I guess my thinking is in a prevention this might be acceptable, but in a treatment it's a no no?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts