The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
What are you trying to address? I am not a fan of DE. Can cause respiratory issues. Dries out the skin, doesn't work for internal parasites and there are better choices for external parasites. Its used to control bugs in gardens and some feeds and minerals..but once it's wet it no longer helps.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,515 Posts
I put a good layer of DE under my bedding when I clean out my barns. On the bare dirt I put a decent amount of stall dry, then DE, then about three to four inches of fine pine shavings, and a large about of straw on top of that.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
This is my DE story, a few years ago I did as MellonFriend does. DE under thick bedding. I was preparing for kidding season and we have had issue with chicken fleas. I was hoping to prevent them in the kidding pens. Mama had twin does ( nigies). We also had a litter of kittens big enough to get around. They were often found in the barn area we laid the DE. Kittens started having Resp. issues. No fevers..we treated for pneumonia anyway but one by one they died with dry eyes and dry crusty noses. Then our new nigie girls started the same..no temps, just raspy breathing and drying around eyes and nose. We treated but We lost one baby. We could not figure out what was killing them. Only thing I did was the Food grade DE. We decided to move the new mom and her remaining baby and slowly that baby got better. Raspiness went away, hair grew back and her energy returned. I have no proof other than it stopped when we removed them from the area we laid DE in. This was Food grade DE. Only thing I can think of is both kittens and baby nigies were pretty close to the ground and inhaled the DE. I know many use it and love it. Im not bashing that..just want to share my experience.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,515 Posts
This is my DE story, a few years ago I did as MellonFriend does. DE under thick bedding. I was preparing for kidding season and we have had issue with chicken fleas. I was hoping to prevent them in the kidding pens. Mama had twin does ( nigies). We also had a litter of kitten big enough to get around. They were often found in the barn area we laid the DE. Kitten started having Resp. issues. No fevers..we treated for pneumonia anyway but one by one they died with dry eyes and dry crusty noses. Then our new nigie girls started the same..no temps, just raspy breathing and drying around eyes and nose. We treated but We lost one baby. We could not figure out what was killing them. Only thing I did was the Food grade DE. We decided to move the new mom and her remaining baby and slowly that baby got better. Raspiness went away, hair grew back and her energy returned. I have no proof other than it stopped when we removed them from the area we laid DE in. This was Food grade DE. Only thing I can think of is both kittens and baby nigies were pretty close to the ground and inhaled the DE. I know many use it and love it. Im not bashing that..just want to share my experience.
Thanks for sharing that with us.:hug: Have you noticed any increase in parasite problems since you stopped using it?

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Have you noticed any increase in parasite problems since you stopped using it?
We only tried it that one time and still deal with chicken fleas. DE didn't seem to help much there. I have never used for parasite control. We use herbal dewormer from LOH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts