The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching all over and getting much information about DE, and thought it would be pretty good to have a thread going on just this subject.
I have never used it before but am thinking about getting it as a topical bug killer for the goats, and have been finding a lot of different ways that it can be used, and different opinions on effectiveness, so I am hoping people who do, or have in the past, use it will chip in and say what they use(d) it for and if they thought it worked.
Thanks for your opinions :)

·
Registered
29,851 Posts
De is a good natural way to control pest...Make sure to get food grade...the food grade DE I get is white like flour...the stuff at tractor supply is garbage IMO...never worked...we add it to the areas our chickens like to have a dirt bath...so they dust themselves : )
I met a guy who came to buy Saanen bucks from me who raises a few 100 head of boer..he said he has never used chemical wormer..only food grade DE...he leaves it out free choice...adds it to the feed ration and dust the hay with it...he said after a while you begin to see white berries lol..the white berries loaded with DE help spread the de every where they goats go...he claims to have healthy goats with low egg counts every time...I havent used it that heavy yet...but I cant see how it will hurt : )

·
Registered
617 Posts
I use it and mix it in with the minerals,only been using it a few months,there is a lot of controversy wether it works or not,tenesee meat goats have info on there site,I figure it can't hurt and its not very exspensive

·
Registered
29,851 Posts
I get mine from our feed company..they use it in there feed ..they dont advertise it as a bagged item but mine will bag some up just the same and sell it to me...ask for food grade...
there are also places on line you can order from but shipping is killer!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'd love to be able to get it....they only sell the stuff that has bait in it here. I can only bring a bit of it down when I travel and hope and pray they don't search my bag and think I'm smuggling a big bag of cocaine.

I read about the controversy, how it works or not with internal parasites, but Waltz's Ark said there's trace minerals in there, so even if it doesn't DIRECTLY kill off internal parasites, the goats are getting some minerals. I do sprinkle the good stuff over my animals when I see mites on them which takes care of the mite situation. the baited stuff I use on plants and on areas that animals can't get at.

·
Banned
988 Posts
I used it in my minerals for a long time an have recently stopped b/c my goats dont eat their mineral as good. I do spread it on my ground to help with flies. Of course it has to be reapplied when it rains. I use it on my garden an on my dogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts