The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started giving our goats a teaspoon of DE per 3 - 4 cups of food, twice daily about 5 days ago. This morning I noticed a decrease in fly population in the goat shed. I'm hoping the DE in the poop might kill the fly larvae before they hatch, alleviating some of the fly problem. I've also sprinkled it generously on/around fire ant mounds in the hope they will commit suicide in it without the need for poisons.

Anyone else found similar results?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where do you get the DE and what is it? Since you let the goats geat it, is it safe for dogs chickens cats and horse?

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered 10 lbs of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth online, but I've heard that some stores carry it as well. It is safe for all animals, including humans, to consume. It's a very fine flour-like white powder, and it's used in animal foods as an anti-clumping agent. Also used for dusting animals to kill fleas, mites, ticks and other parasites. Some claim success in killing internal parasites (worms) in dogs, cats, goats, etc..

We haven't tried eating any of it yet, but that idea is still under consideration.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There are actually a couple of different grades of Diatomaceous Earth. Make sure you get the food grade variety if you are going to give it internally. It should say on the bag. You do NOT want the stuff made for swimming pools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts