Diatomaceous Earth?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Duchesse, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Anyone here use DE?

How do you use it ? For what purpose, I've heard that it is a dewormer, and can be used for fly control, is this true?

How do you use it?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It is more of a preventative for worms than any thing else. We mix it with salt and feed it free choice to the girls, we use it for lice and other external parasites, and I plan on spreading it in the barn to see if it helps with fly control this summer.

3. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    I use it externally, every time they are worked they get "coated" with it. It is always out free feed for their consumption (there are also lots of trace minerals in it), as well as on our dogs, cattle, chickens, cats, etc. food. Use it in the barn for fly control and it is also an incredible drying agent for "pee" spots (ever notice how they have certain spots they like to frequent most often??!!). I sprinkle some in any grain/feed containers during the summer months to keep bugs out, I put some in water tanks in summer to cut down on algea growth in between tank scrubbings, use it on our organic garden. Even used it once to dry out some hay that was baled damp and beginning to mold, stopping any mold growth. The uses are endless - it's one of those things we wouldn't be without.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is something I'd like to try. I like multi-purpose products!! I just haven't seen it at TSC or Agway so where would I get it?

5. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Lots of places online to get it - the shipping is generally the killer. I get my from a mill, which is also where I get my loose mineral. Just be sure that wherever you get it from it is FOOD grade, if you are going to feed it or put it in feed.

6. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Thanks! It's good to hear first hand about all of its' uses and the effectiveness. I was looking for natural pest control and came upon DE. I've read good things about it but had not tried it as yet. With fly season around the corner I want to be prepared. :cool:

7. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Having it free feed or in their feed really helps with the flies, as the DE passed in the stool kills the fly larvae that develop when the flies lay eggs in the poop. I also spread it, too, as I said before, on the barn floor, in pens, etc. after cleaning. We have used it for the cattle for a few years now, as you can imagine the flies you get with large cow piles!!
    Also, FYI - we dust our dogs and cats with it for flea/tick control.

8. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    My little guys are fenced in a 2 acre rough grass pasture so managing flies and worms is always a concern. It's difficult to clean up all the poops hiding in the grass. So, I mix DE with sand and spinkle it around the pasture, especially on and around their favorite shady hangout. The sand holds it down onto the ground and keeps it from blowing around when I spread it.
    5 lbs easily does an acre or two depending on how you spread it. I have never tried feeding it to them.
    You can buy it from a number of places on the web..but I know that Hoeggers carries it.

9. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    We feed it to all our goats. We mix it in with their grain and give it to everyone......I havent done it for a while since I have forgotten!! But i will be starting it up again tomarrow with the evening feeding. It works great for flys and worms and lice.

10. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Just passing along what we learned this weekend at UT. The studies on DE show that it has no effect on worms at all. Neither does garlic.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I wouldn't say that about garlic because we give garlic to our dogs and we have never had a problem with worms from them. We don't use it on the girls though because we drink their milk :wink:

12. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    However, studies have shown that it will dry out and kill the eggs/larvae in the poop on the ground. Garlic is one of the best immune boosters in the world, so even if it does not kill internal parasites, it enhances the immune system, making them able to carry worm loads much better.