Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Martha Moo, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Martha Moo

Martha Moo New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    A few days ago I saw one of my does nibbling at the dirt. I brought her a bowl of food grade diatomaceous earth and she ate the whole thing, even licked the bottom. Today I brought her some more and again, she ate the whole thing (about half a cup). I offered it to the other does but they wouldn't touch it.

Is it bad to give them that much? What does it mean when your goat is craving diatomaceous earth?

Emily

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm sorry to not be of greater help. . . . I honestly have not a clue. Never before used DE. But, I'll bump this up for ya! ;)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I say everything in moderation. I wouldnt know if it would be bad for her to eat it daily or not? Just like Olivia I havent used it before.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    nibbling on the dirt......DO you feed free choice cattle loose salt and minerals ..?.your goat's body is craving something and trying to find it.......The DE may not have what she needs .or at least I cannot figure out what DE has health wise..that she would be craving........put ...cattle loose salt and minerals in front of her.....she may surprise you ...and go to town on it.....in which over eating that is OK ......because she will eat less and less each time ...until her body is satisfied...then just go to it when she needs it...check the container often make sure they still have it ..Overeating the DE,,I do not think it is a good idea.... eating bowel fulls seems like to much to me and as stacey said in moderation...so her eating that much cannot be healthy..I've fed DE in the past and never seen my goats eat that much.... :shrug: ...If she is craving something really bad and you are using the blocks ...she will lick and chew on it all day and may not get what her body needs............ as for the loose salt and minerals....she can get it faster...I have had does chewing on wood and dirt..to find ....oops there loose salt and minerals are empty...I put some in the free choice container ...do not mix anything with it and she goes to town on it....until satisfied ... I do not recomend mixing loose salt and minerals with anything else or baking soda or anything together...just because some goats crave one thing and may not like the other so if it is all mixed I found that my does do not eat it as much and some don't eat it at all...and one year I have selinium deficent kids when I mixed them together... :(
    I would also put out free choice baking soda..to...she may need that.... :)

5. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    If I haven't put DE out in a while (I usually leave it out free choice), then mine will eat a lot of it for a few days. They will only eat what they need so I wouldn't worry about it, it won't hurt her.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

What kind of minerals do you have out for them? I have heard several people say DE does nothing. others have said it works great. but i have never used it.
    beth

7. Martha Moo

Martha Moo New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    We do put free choice salt and minerals as well as baking soda. I have found that in the last couple days she has been eating a lot of minerals.

I have offered DE to her before, but she wouldn't touch it, so I was surprised when ate so much. I stopped offering it free choice because no one was using it.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I had the same thing happen with my boers ..........we tried it for one season and as what happened to you...they wasted it and didn't want it...................It is really weird she wants it all of a sudden like it .....when before she didn't want anything to do with it but I guess she thinks her body needs it........ :shrug: It's hard to figure out goats sometimes :doh: It sounds like you are giving them what they need...... :)
    K-Ro mentioned it won't hurt her so I guess it is safe.... :hug:

9. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I have never used DE on our goats either.

10. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I do not use DE but I know that ADM feeds contains it and they claim it helps with worms.