Diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goatzrule, Jun 28, 2020 at 8:31 PM.

1. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Please tell me the pros and cons of feeding Diatomaceous. I read a thread about it a while ago but I cannot find it.

2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I’ve heard that it becomes ineffective when wet (therefore useless for feeding purposes). Hopefully someone with more knowledge can let you know for certain.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It doesn’t work well feeding it.

It can be spread into the ground. But if it gets wet as mentioned, it doesn’t work after that.
    DE works slowly if spread around to kill bugs or lice. But it does work for that.

4. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Thats how i have always used it. I knew it wasn't too reliable for feeding but figured I should do some research before making a judgement

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Diatomaceous earth works in two ways. It 1. Is a drying agent, so it dries out exoskeletons of bugs such as lice! It absorbs so much liquid that it takes their waxy coatings which keep them alive away. Unfortunately, the stomach is a moist environment so it cannot suck the moisture from the worms and kill them.

The second way is that it is very glass-like in texture - it slices and dices worms in the stomach!

DE has no anti-parasitic properties, it just physically kills them.

HOWEVER, you need an incredibly large amount of it to have any effect whatsoever on the internal worms. The goal is to kill them, not give every 1 out of 500 of them a paper cut.

I believe the recommended dosage was about 1/4 cup a day!!!

Even then, I have never heard of true success in using it!

The only benefit that I’ve heard of is that it dries fecal matter out quicker which can sometimes kill larvae in the poop, as they need moisture to survive.

toth boer goats likes this.