The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My large animal vet won’t be seeing my boys until the 9th. I called to ask about treating the lice they have and she said diatomaceous earth. Has anyone used this topically before to get rid of lice? I found a couple different brands at TSC but all of them have directions for feeding, and says they aren’t “approved” for insecticide and it’s an off label use. I don’t want to kill my babies, but these lice have GOT to go.

I found this brand:

This is a good price - not CHEAP but not crazy expensive. BUT when I read the label and look on reviews/questions, it says it’s meant for feeding and using it for lice is off label. I don’t want to buy it and then hurt my boys! What do you all use (if you use it)?

Reactions: FizzyGoats

·
Super Moderator
32,250 Posts
It's also very drying to the skin and can cause respiratory issues. How old are the boys? Try Cylence 1 cc per 25 pounds down the topline...or if tiny tots you can get that..kitten flea powder.
Quality Tea tree oil in witch hazel can work

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've used the Durvet Ivermectcin pour-on. TSC has it, the one here has it in the locked cabinet for some reason. It seems to work well for the girls. My brother had me try the DE, which I still use sometimes, but I don't rely on it for killing bugs alone. The girls never had adverse reactions, but when they are nibbling like crazy, I want something more proven and fast.

·
Registered
221 Posts
One thing that reallyyy helps for lice is to shave them. I was going to be shaving mine anyway in the next few weeks for a show so i just went ahead shaved them, then sprayed them. I used Permethrin concentrate for treatment that i got from Farm and Fleet. It has to be mixed with water, its 4 ml to 1 gallon i'm pretty sure, but it worked well for me. I wanted DE but it was out of stock this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts