Did Heidi miscarry? Help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Heidi is my little Alpine girl. I bred her to my buck January 20-22. She is small, but I was so anxious to breed her. She was 10 months old at the time. She weighed about 65-70 pounds, which is smaller than what I like, but she is just going to be a small doe. Her dam matured at about 100#. She has been doing fine in her pregnancy, until yesterday. She had a bit of bloody goo coming from her hoo-haa. It was on her tail, her hocks, quite a bit. It looked liked post-kidding goo. She has over 2 months to go, did she abort/miscarry? I had a doe abort a dead kid, about 5 weeks before her due date a couple years ago. Am I doing something wrong? Is it normal for her to do that? Did I lose the kid? Her dam should have had a nice udder, but she has major mastitis problems, and her sire comes from really good Addi-Hill milk lines, so I was excited to see what kind of udder she would have. I am totally lost to what has happened. She seems fine otherwise, I don't see anything suspicious on the ground. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
    Ashlyn

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, have you taken her temp? To me it sounds like she is or did miscarry. Have you walked all over to see if you can find a baby? Do you have a dog or anything that could carry it off?

I would keep a eye on her look around for a baby and and give her some molasses water. I would lock her up if that was my doe to see if she passes the placenta. All else fails take her to the vet. Maybe they can ultrasound her.

Good Luck

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry that she miscarried... :hug: ....like Lori said...keep and eye on her....

she may of got slammed real hard.... :(

Did you de-worm or give her anything doing her pregnancy?

4. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Slamming hard happens a lot unfortunately in my herd of 9. Can't they just learn to get along?! She received the Molly's Herbals wormer that was safe for preggos a couple months ago, that is it. I was really looking forward to her kidding. At least I have had 2 girls this year. Stella, my boer cross mutt pet, is kidding in July unfortuantely. She escaped and the buck escaped at the same tiem. I was considering luteing her, I wish it would have ben her instead, but oh well. At least Heidi is well and I can show her this year as an open yearling.
    Ashlyn

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    here's a thought . :idea: ..the next time you breed her and she takes....try putting her in another area with another calm doe...that doesn't slam... so she can carry full term..... :wink:

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My goats are in pens of 2-3 and they slam A LOT!!!! So after a goat is starting to show she is bred we tend to seperate them until after the kids are weaned. Just a thought.

I am so sorry about Heidi. Maybe next time. ;)

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You can't really keep goats from slamming completely...but in my experience there's usually certain goats that do most of the instigating, I usually separate those goats or send 'em packing. Goats will be goats, of course, but some are excessively aggressive and have to be dealt with.