Did I do something wrong? *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Crissa, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well last week, Lyrae's udder (what was left after drying her off) was soft and it wasn't hot. But today it is hard and warm. Is she getting mastitis? Also there was milk in her udder. If so what did I do wrong? It was fine for so long. Please help. :tears:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Did I do something wrong? *Please help*

How long ago did you stop milking her? At that time, how often were you milking her?

Have you taken her temp?

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Diddo what Allison said.

Has her udder just filled back up? Maybe that's why it's so tight? Is milk easily coming out of both teats?

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

I can't take her temp. I'm alone and I don't have anyone to help me. (she doesn't like the idea so much) I stopped milking her a LONG time ago. I'd say a month or so after I weaned Orion. I was milking her twice a day then I went down to once and day and stopped. I kept an eye on it for a few weeks and there was no problem. This is just all of a sudden. And it took me a minute to get any milk out of the right teat, but the left teat was pretty easy.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

sounds almost like a precorious udder. Does the milk smell? Is it watery or thick? Is she pregnant? You could take some and do the "mastitis test" with the soap and water and see what it says.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

I didn't smell it, but it seems like regular milk. She might be pregnant. (she's been with the buck a couple of times) I'll try the soap mastitis test.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Got what I could out of her. It's quite watery and is actually and off white color. It doesn't smell.

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay just did the soap mastitis test and it says no. But why else would her udder be hard to the touch? :shrug: Could it be that she actually is pregnant and is just developing an udder? I think I'm going nuts now. :hair:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

my first thought it is that she is pregnant :shrug:

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

But would it be hard? It's not tight, just hard.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Crissa, when you say "hard" do you mean that it is solid feeling?

Did she totally dry up? Sometimes even though you dry them off it will take awhile for the udder to go back to pre kidding size....and if she is preggy, after being dried up, you may be feeling the firmness of the glandular tissues.

I know I reference my own goats a good bit when I reply to posts, but its easier to use an example because I know these goats...I don't know yours, so....Bootsie is still in milk after a year, she dropped in production and now gives just under a pint with 1x a day milking, her udder to me is "healthy"...though the feel of it seems as though she would have more milk in there...her glands are firm though her udder isn't as big as it once was.
    When I bought Binky it was approximately 3 months after her FF...her kids died and she was not milked..allowed to dry up, I was surprised at that point that she still had a firm handful of an udder and she still had "milk", though it was off white and slightly sticky...she was fine a few weeks later.

How big is Lyraes udder? In reference to/ softball, orange, grapefruit size....

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I know when I dried off Hope last year, there was a time when her udder was firm for a while. It made me very nervous and I kept a close eye on it, but eventually it shrunk down to literally nothing. We're talking two teats against the belly and that's all!

Her udder has grown back out quite nicely now in preparation for kids, so it was normal.

I hope everything is okay with your doe. :hug:

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Yes it feels solid. I was pretty sure she dried up completely, but I could be wrong. (I did feel it last week and it was totally soft) As of right now I would say it's about the size of a grapefruit.

Thanks everyone.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

When is she due Crissa? It could be an impacted udder.
    beth

15. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Either late May or early June. (I'm not sure, the buck had problems "reaching") What's an impacted udder?

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

impacted udder is when you dont milk for quite awhile and the milk just sits there causing bacteria to build. Can result eventually in mastitis, or a solid feeling udder. The best way to dry of a doe i have found is longer and longer between milkings and then when your sure she has just about stopped making milk milk her completly out one last time and put a tube of today into each side of her udder. This kills any bacteria in there that she can carry over to the next year causing mastitis right off the bat when she kids. A round of pen is somtimes needed as well. but i have rarely had to do that.
    I would start heat packing her udder as many times a day as you can. I know this is hard with school and the goats not being at your house anymore. I would also start her on a round of pen and milk as much of the stuff out of her udder as you can....she is far enough away from kidding that milking her shouldnt affect her. She isnt making colostrum yet. If you can get her udder back to feeling soft again i would get some today in there. Leaving it alone is just going to cause scar tissue to build.
    Hope this helps
    beth

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay thanks so much!

18. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay, I milked out EVERYTHING that I could, and held a warm washrag on her for at least 30 minutes today. Some of the swelling seemed to go down, but still isn't soft. Where can I get some of that Today stuff? Or is there anything that my co op might have that I could give her?

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Since she is dry you would want tomorrow. You might be able to get some tomorrow at your coop. You can get it at almost any online store, Jeffers, kv, ect. But it comes in a box of a couple tubes, not one or two.

How did the milk look? The same?

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

valley vet or nasco carry the tubes of Today in a single dose