Did I do the wrong thing???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NubianLover, Aug 31, 2012.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    So I got Valbazen from the vet as my baby has stomach worms. They said to give 3cc to babies and 5cc to adults....

I googled it online as it seemed too low of a dose to me.... So I gave him 1cc per 10lbs.... as Fiasco Farms and I saw a couple posts on here mentioned.

Did I just run the risk of him bleeding internally? Someone just mentioned that on facebook and I didn't even think about that.... I just wanted to get him wormed at the proper dose.... :(

Ugh.... Sometimes I wonder if I am cut out for this..... Anything else I need to do for him? He is getting the Vitamin B Complex and also getting Probiotics....

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You have to use the wormer correctly. If you dose it too low, then you are just going to make the parasites immune to it. Just follow it up with supportive care.

3. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Sadly that is a possibility with alot of wormers depening on the type of worm, worm load and how they are dosed. Supposedly the risk is higher if given orally. However the worm load can kill as well so its one of those things. I'm sure your guy will be fine though.

4. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    So I dosed ok? At the rate of 1cc per 10lbs?
    Do I do a follow up dose? The vet said to only do 1 dose?

5. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    At 1 per 10 lbs. you might not need to do the multi-day treatment. I have used it at various dosings from 1 per 10 to 1 per 25. Personal preference is 1 per 15-20 for 3 days. Albendazole kills slowly, so works pretty well with longer term dosing. If he has a bunch of worms, I would re-treat in about 10 days to kill the developing parasites.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You used the dose I use and yes, you give another dose in 7-10 days. You can kill goats by overdosing on the wormer or by all the worms letting go and them bleeding out. As long as you weighed the goat and were close to that weight, you didn't overdose. The worms letting go to fast can happen and thats just a risk we take. I wouldn't worry that much. :hug: