The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we just brought my newest goat home, i got her from a breeder i have used before. never had a problem and her setup is very nice. i put a down payment on a doe over a month ago to be bred, saw a recent photo and it showed she was underweight Never told me about anything else. said she was very friendly, around 3 years old, had a kid, easy keeper, nothing is wrong with her. just needs work on the milking stand... (doesnt like to stand well on the milking stand to let you milk) ok...no problem! so we get there....over a hour drive...and i notice right away is a lump on her side...i relized the photos she gave me was Never of her left side....ok.....so i ask? because am blindsided on WHY on earth this goat has a lump. you know what am thinking "THAT CANT BE CL...IS IT CL? OH NO....CL?!" But am trying to let her speak and she said she vaccinates for CL and she got a lump from the injection site...ok.

but then why is the lump on her rib cage?

Well she said because she used to give it in the arm pit but her goats would have problems walking and go lame in that leg so now she gives it in the rib cage.
OK...when was the last time you gave the shot?
she said she gave it one month then again 2 months ago, so this injection site is from 2 months ago?.....i dont know how that makes sense?

i have heard of injections making lumps at the site...but this lump also is showing signs of some puss... :(

i got her home shaved it. opened it the best i could but almost nothing came out i got a little...very little...into a tube...how much would i need to be tested? how do i ship it/store it any info will help me!
does it look like CL? its not in a normal spot. i don't see why she would lie to me. but why not tell me within the time frame i was waiting, i totally wouldn't have bought her. am keeping her away from my other goats but am a bit upset with the whole deal...this should be a happy day now i feel like i just ruined my whole herd. :( :tear: am really hoping i didnt, i know the only way to know for sure it to test i need to know how, how should i store/ship. (some reason its not wanting to upload photos hold on)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
If she gives shots over the ribs that's probably what that is. I do it in the armpit and a few years ago they all had lumped up as a reaction to the shot , they were lumped up for months, I can't remember exactly how long it was, but it was at least 4+ months. Those lumps didn't go down for a LONG time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it normal to notice puss, there was a little not a lot it wasn't like a paste or thick. It was Just white puss. Is did say it was from the injection I just don't want it to be something else

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Probably not CL, it isn't near the common spots. Probably an injection site.

·
1,524 Posts
Injection sites can become injected, so that would explain the pus.

In case you were thinking of having her tested for CL, if she had the injection, she will test positive because of the antibodies. The best way anyway, would be to test the pus. However, if the injection was for CL, I'm not sure if it would show up in a culture!

Do you have a vet that could arrange to send it in for a culture?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i knew that since she is vaccinated for CL a blood test would Always show positive but what if i had this puss tested would it also test Positive for CL also because she has the vaccine?

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
yes, if vaccinated for CL her blood work will show poss. for CL, not sure about the puss...thats not a CL location...most likely a shot spot..Some times they do fester up and fill with puss..usally white..I would keep it clean and let that heal.
She does look on the thin side however I bet in a months time she will look beautiful...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the owner ended up having to move out away from her goats..Now she can only visit them from what i understand, "peaches" is she is VERY thin, i just weighed her and she is 75 pounds. ): and if i remember right she is around 3 years old. she needs some work... but am willing to take the time with her. i just really really really want to make sure its Not CL. i don't see a reason for the lady to lie to me. she seemed very nice and i have bought goats from her before. i just was Shocked over a month of waiting and she never once told me there was a lump on her rib cage Until today when i came and picked her up. she did say how its NOT cl. how it was from the Shot she gave her. because she vaccinates for CL. even still i wanted another opinion...for now she is being kept away from my other goat until i can really get a handle and know its Just a reaction of the injection site....other then the lump and being skinny she is acting fine. up,alert,moving around, no problems,no coughing, which are all good signs.

·
Registered
31,517 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow, that goat is really skinny.

She needs some good food and hay ASAP.

I don't think she's got CL, that looks like an injection site knot.

I now use Essential CD & T and give it IM in the hip muscle and don't have any knots on my goats.

I think all she needs is some TLC and she'll be a nice goat.

I use BOSS and CAlf Manna mixed together to bulk up a doe after she's kidded.

Just an 8 oz. cupful on her regular goat feed.

DonnaBelle

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
When you send in your sample just tell the lab that she was vaccinated for CL. The test can tell the difference if they know a head of time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
from the photos i posted earlier she looks far worse...in person you can see Every rib in her body and he little round belly. her hair shows signs of something lacking? its very dry,dull,bushy?...Anyway i just tried taking new photos. so you can get a idea.

Bird Beak Galliformes Chicken Poultry

Fawn Goat Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope Livestock

i tried taking new photos to give you a idea of her size. like i said before she is around 2/3 years of age. ((i will know once i get her papers *she is going to mail them :confused: * once i got her home i weighed her she is only 75 pounds....That is the lowest body weight i have ever seen on a adult goat :eek: ..... i dont want to over shock her system. i offered her a mix of "goat electrolyte" and Probios in her water for a few hours, she didn't take much so i just changed it out to clean water... gave her 3 handfuls of feed/grain, which was a mix of rice bran,goat sweet feed,boss,alfalfa pellets...*I want to go really slow with adding feed since it doesn't look like she has had much if any grain for some time* her stall is filled with coastal hay as bedding but she has been chowing down since i put her in there, so i just added more if anything she can just have as much grass hay as she wants....Now i have a arsenal of products and supplies. but like i said i don't want to shock her with everything. tomorrow i will add "probios" back to her water.i was also thinking of deworming her *owner said she was dewormed last week?? with Ivomec * However her eyelids are very pale pink. i also have fortified vitamin B complex and Iron injectable and Bovi Sera but keep in mind i have Never given a shot to a goat before ((i just keep supplies on hand!!!!)) so if you think i should PLEASE walk me by the hand on how! i also have a range of Supplements and vitamins. going to pick up some peanut hay ((very rich hay)) i offered her some baking soda and goat mineral. Anything else you can think of i should add or do?​

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Poor girl, that's so sad. :( At least she has you to help her get healthy again. I think alfalfa would be the best hay for weight gain. Calf Manna is also a good supplement. You should probably do a fecal to see what you need to do about worming. I hope she gets better soon. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this morning i gave her a body clip, after feeling around i also felt a few more bumps (about the size of a pea and one the size of a marble) in the armpit/shoulder and one small one on the neck...called my vet and 2 others they don't offer the testing, one told me to even use Washington state. i really wish the owner would have told me about this lump...(wouldnt have even risked bring her here)......after messaging her this afternoon **since finding the other smaller bumps** i asked if she would buy her back since i do not want to Risk my whole herd to this one goat..

i paid $150 for her under the impression she was just "Petite" and nothing was wrong with her. Now with getting her here i have a goat that is only 75 pounds! when she should be around 130 pounds...And with this lump. which may not be CL but why take that chance? her being this underweight makes me believe that there is a high change some kind of disease.... am going to end up paying more then she is worth in testing alone. We are driving her back tonight... I have been spraying everything with "tek-trol" which i keep on hand, am treating it as if its CL. just to be safe. i also keep DC&R Disinfectant on hand and tomorrow after cleaning out the pen am going to spray everything down. ((i say tomorrow because by the time we get back from dropping her off it will be late....its a long drive ugh!))

1 - 20 of 38 Posts