The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new here and was hoping you might be able to answer a question for me.
Almost three weeks ago I purchased two 2 year old pygmy does that, at that point, had never kidded before. When I bought them, one of them did seem 'larger and rounder" than the other but never thought much of it. However last night I noticed that she has gotten larger still and she is developing what looks like an udder and has teats. The other one doesn't seem to have any of this so I believe it is new and not that I had just never noticed before.
I've been trying to read up on this and it sounds like if they have never kidded before, they will bag up about a month before they give birth. Does this sound right to you guys? Not sure if I should be doing anything special in preparation? Does it sound like she might be pregnant?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sounds like she could be pregnant.....we love pics on this site...especially udder and pooch pictures! LOL! That would help determine whether she really is pregnant or not....and welcome to TGS!!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
first of all, welcome!

if she's bagging up, then she probably has been bred. did her previous owner have bucks around?

if you post pictures of her behind, many people here can tell if a goat is pregnant just from looking at her behind. make sure the tail is up so you can get a good view of her lady parts as well as her udder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I will get some decent 'indecent' photos and post them here. :D I actually still had the number to the person I bought them from so I texted her this morning. She did say it was possible that she was pregnant and that the male(s) would have both been smaller than her but didn't know she was pregnant. She actually apologized for selling me a pregnant doe and offered to help out by taking her back until she kidded and then give them back to me. Which I thought was very nice of her. I said I would keep her up to date and send pictures as I could.
I'm both excited and nervous at the possibility!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
that was me when I got my pregnant doe in Feb. it's quite nerve wracking, but nothing like having a new born baby around!

I was REALLY nervous buying a pregnant goat, esp one without a due date, but the woman I bought mine from assured me that 99 times out of 100, births go without a hitch. she has over 100 goats, and she says when it's birthing time, she usually wakes up to find babies around the pasture. I was all ready to be there for my girl, but she decided to show no symptoms and just have her baby in the middle of the night.

if you do think your Nigerian is pregnant, then you need to stop feeding her grains (slowly wind down the grains). giving grains to pregnant girls make big babies, which lead to difficult births.

buying a pregnant doe means you get more goats for the price of one! she also may want to have your pregnant doe back so she can keep the babies and sell them...that's just me being sinister in my thinking (I tend to do that). and if you do decide to send your pregnant doe back, you'll need another friend for your other girl so she doesn't get lonely.

sorry if there was some information overload!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts