didn't take pregnant doe... but have three more preggers!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by farmergal, Jan 18, 2010.

1. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Hi all,
    Quick question (quick because I have to decide by tomorrow morning!)
    I have a pregnant Nigi named Emily, who is due sometime between February 18th and early March. I don't know because I bought her bred, and the woman wasn't sure when she had conceived.
    I am taking 3 other does to the Large Animal Hospital (20 mins away) to be have ultrasounds done, to find out if their breedings took. Should I take Emily too? It is the same price between three or four does, and I am hoping that the ultrasound could tell me more precisely when her due date would be. (Also, how many kids... and since this is my first time as doe midwife it would be nice to know what to expect!)
    What do you think? Too stressful for her? She was a show goat and is fairly used to traveling in a crate.

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Re: transporting very pregnant doe? (time sensitive)

I took 3 of mine when they were that far along and they did fine.. For a first time mom you shoul expect only one or 2

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

If she's used to travelling and the vet isn't far away then it would probably be ok, but if she seems stressed when you load her you probably are better off just leaving her behind. Is it really worth the risk?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she should be fine -- :)

5. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! Y'all are great :)

I think I will see if it stresses her out to get into the truck and then decide in the morning based on that... I don't want to stress her out unnecessarily or take any risks. The big reason I want to know is she's a senior doe and according to her previous owner she's a great birther and mom -- but sometime she kids so quickly that she doesn't have time to clean off the first kid before the second one starts coming. So she has lost a kid when someone wasn't there to help. And while I've read all about ligaments and bagging up I've never felt any of those in person, so it would be really helpful to know when to expect the little ones so I can make sure to be there!

Course, I guess I could always just sleep in the barn for 2-3 weeks :) I'll let you know what happens tomorrow... and whether my 3 other girls are preggers too!!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Can they come to your place ...to do the ultrasounds ? Just curious?

I know some places ...have the ability to do that... because they know ...the stress ... it puts on the preggo does.... later in there pregnancies....

If not.... she should be OK... if the trailer isn't over crowded ......and you make it ..as easy going and stress free....as possible.........also...make sure there are... no slamming bullies... in the trailer with her... that the roads aren't to rough....and the distance of transport .. isn't to far away.... :wink:

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

I dont know whether it is ok to transport her or not, but I do know that over here when you get ultrasounds on sheep & goats it is very hard to tell how many the animal is carrying after a certain point in the pregnancy. Ideal time to scan is at 80 - 90 days... after that, yes they can tell whether they are pregnant or not, but they cant necessarily tell you the number.
    LW

8. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR

also another thing to think about, is if you take the other does, will she be the only goat left at your place?
    I have no idea how many goats you have but if she would be the only one left, i would think it would be more stressfull to leave her home by herself.

9. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    YAY! I just got back from the ultrasound appointment... and my buckling Gobi is a VERY good boy. Right now he is at a friend's farm servicing her does but I will have to tell her to give him some extra treats! All three goats I bred to him got pregnant on their first try (including one who is slightly oversize for a Nigi, is a FF at 5 years old, and was easily twice as tall as little Gobi). Gobi was only 6 months old at the time of breeding, not bad for a little guy, huh? He did fall over backwards a couple of times trying to breed the older doe but his persistence paid off. :eek:hlala:

This is very exciting! I now have 3 goats due in April, a couple of weeks before I am getting married. Which hopefully means... itty bitty kids and proud mamas at the wedding. (We're getting married in a field, and having the reception in a barn, so they'll fit right in.)

I didn't end up taking Emily because I was worried about her getting bumped around in the truck. We are in the middle of a crazy rainstorm and I didn't know how bad traffic would be. BUT, I just went to give her selenium gel (since she is now 4-6 weeks away from her due date) and she is already QUITE bagged up! There's easily a FF sized udder under her already, but it isn't tight. (She is a veteran mom and has freshened 4 or 5 times already.) Is it possible the woman I bought her from had the due date too late? I still have some work to do to turn the barn into a kidding stall...

:ponder:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    starting to fill 1 month before kidding is normal

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congratulations........... on the new moms to be... :thumb: :thumbup: :greengrin: :cool: :leap:

that would be great...... to have babies running around ....on your wedding day.... :wink:

I agree with Stacey.... starting to fill 1 month prior... is very normal.... :wink:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congrats on the impending births!! Babies would be awesome wedding guests too.

13. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    That's what I am hoping! I am SO excited, I can't wait... both to get married to my sweetie and for the due dates :) Although I have to make sure I have a very secure pen for my goatie guests, otherwise they will be on the tables trying to eat my table decorations. That happened once before at a picnic... I had driven in stakes for a temporary plastic-fencing pen and they took one look at it and said "as IF!" Then they stuck their noses under it, pushed it up, and immediately jumped up on the tables and began eating the table decorations (which were fresh grapevines, a local favorite).

Needless to say, I spent the entire picnic knocking them off the tables, putting them back in the pen, weighing the plastic fencing down with bricks and stones... and then repeat.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh my... :shocked: :doh: what a job.... those goats....are smart...and very cleaver...hehe... :ROFL:

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    What an interesting post! Congrats and good luck. I also have a doe that kids quickly. The previous owner told me she lost two kids because she thought Izzy was done after the first two and went to bed. So, I've been very careful not to leave her when she's close. She's had two sets of quads and one set of trips, since I've had her. I have a more "concrete" due date this year, Hubby knows "pickins' get a little thin" around here when I'm waiting for Izzy to kid, lol. Last time, I had my DIL, and grandaughter both helping me clean Izzy's kids. So, my advice with this type of doe...STAY HOME...or get a babysitter. :hi5:

Do you have a baby monitor? It will save so many trips to the barn!