The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2 yr old Pygmy mix wether.
Currently he has unlimited access to water, grass hay and a billy block containing dicalcium, phosphorus and other good minerals.
During the week when I have to go to work he gets 2 cups of 12% sweet feed (soon to be regular livestock feed)) in the morning.
He gets at least 3-4 hours at least of free range to eat brush, grass, and other weeds including some apple tree branches.
I'm going to be adding ammonium chloride to his morning feed everyday.

Should I change or add anything? I'm not sure if he's getting enough food since when I take him out to eat brush he is very eager to eat and won't stop for awhile.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
the unlimited grass hay is great and the free graze time...i would find a good loose mineral for him over the billy block..they are hard for them to eat and usually don't get all they need from it because of that..I would also switch from sweet feed to a plain goat pellet or non at all if he is prone to be chunky.calcium: phrosphurus ratio needs to be 2:1..
make any changes slowly so his rumen can adjust...

sounds like he has a good caretaker ;)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,087 Posts
I don't like feeding my wethers grain as it can be a cause to UC, but your boy's diet is pretty great. :thumb: I can't really improve on it, but I can tell you what I do for our boys and why ... they get free choice grass hay, a half cup of alfalfa pellets (the alfalfa is 5:1 cal/phos, a little high! But the grass hay is often too low in calcium. So a half cup or a cup of alfalfa pellets a day actually protects them :) ), loose manna pro minerals (they cannot get all their mineral needs from a block), and plenty of water. I like adding a bit of lemonaid or apple cider vinegar to the water to acidify their pee.

If you do feed them grain, be sure it has plenty of ammonium chloride in it, and only a very token amount.

Your boys are in great hands! :)

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Just be sure he has plenty of hay to munch :D A little alfalfa will help warm him up when temps drop too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts