Different Ivomecs -- will mine work for goats?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by farmergal, Jul 16, 2009.

1. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Hi all,
    I've been reading worming posts like crazy, and based on posts I read (and advice on Fias Co Farms website) I went down to the feed store and bought some Ivomec. (I have ordered herbal wormers but a recently purchased doe has a persistent cough, and I suspect lung worm, so I want to get her wormed ASAP.)
    Anyway, trouble is, when I got home I realized I bought the "wrong" Ivomec. I bought the kind that is labeled for use as a sheep drench and meant to be given orally, whereas the one that everyone else seems to use is meant for cattle/swine and intended to be injected.
    Does anyone use the drench Ivomec, and if so, what is the dose? My Elizabeth is a full grown Nigi doe, and I want to make sure I help her, not hurt her!!!
    Thanks,
    Lynda

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most that use the injectable ivomectin use it orally. Since yours is a drench, just follow the directions given as most sheep dosing instructions are good for goats as well. If it has a "by weight" doseage, it would be best to get a weight on your doe first to avoid under dosing her.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the sheep dewormers are not strong enough for goats (like a lot of dewormers are). Would that be so in this case?

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I use sheep de-wormers for my goats, at the same dosage, and they work great

LW

6. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I use injectable ivomec dosed orally, 1cc/22 lbs. I have also used the blue pour-on made for cattle, but had a problem with it causing diarrhea and weakness (ataxia) in one of my goats. I know some people orally dose their goats with the pour-on and have no trouble, but I prefer to use the injectable. All the wormers should show a % of the active ingredient, I think, so you can go by that.