different questions about skeeters and pee hay

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Karens, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Karens

Karens New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL.
    Hey Ya'll! I have 2 female pigmys. 3 and 5 months old. I live in florida and it is SO skeeter-eee out there I feel terrible for my girls! I spray a little OFF in paper towel & rub it over the dogs and that helps the skeeters stay off them pretty good.. but is it safe for the goats too? And Pee Hay!! What to do with the pee hay? I've been composting it and putting it in my driveway (all sand) but there so much of it. And I use the pooh for the flowers and trees - which my husband is SO mad about right now cause Gerdy is eating all the roses she can reach and is trying to get at the crepe myrtles. I keep them in a pen with a goat house in it for sleeping But they are my pets and I want them to be free to browse awhile too. I have a german shepherd that thinks they are toys so we don't let them out together.. he is too rambumcous! Also, about feeding them, I always have hay in the hay holder. the vet says make sure they eat a lot of hay, and I feed them pellets mixed with pro-manna goat feed which is very sweet and has a lot of corn but how much should they get how often? Gerdy is about 29lbs and Weeder is 13 lbs. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.. I don't plan on breeding either of them they are pets. Weeder was very sick when we first got her and altho my vet didn't say it, we knew she wasn't as hopeful as we were. Lots of meds later and heavy prayer got her on her feet. I tried to upload a few pictures but was unable too. I love reading and looking at everyones goats. Love the NGD's! and I have a couple of friends that have goats too. My one friend has 1 goat and it's mate is a goose- Charlie! They can't live without each other :slapfloor: Thanks Karen

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    At their age, they are still growing and do need the grain to supplement that growth. I have a 7 week old pygmy/nigi wether on his mom and he eats her grain as well and he weighs 18lbs! My twin 4 week old doelings are on mom and eating a good bit of solids and each weigh 9 1/2 lbs.

What I normally advise for feeding growing kids is a half cup of 18% goat feed 2x a day as well as good quality hay and loose minerals available freechoice. The feed I use is Blue Seal Caprine Challenger and all of my goats do well on it...Tractor Supply carries it.
    As far as the wet bedding, if I can't give it away as mulch/compost I burn it. For pest control, I use a citronella based horse spray on my goats...Bronco is the name of the spray, works great for ticks too.

And Welcome to TGS!!! :wave:

3. Karens

Karens New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL.
    Liz, Thanks for the quick response. I love tractor supply! I am feeding them way too much then if you say 1/2 cup 2x! And I got a salt lick with minerals and they will not touch that no matter where I move it too! I'll look for the loose minerals. QWeeder looks really good - her black coat is SO shiney - she lost that downey fur and is becoming quite the Beaut! She has 2 skin tags right under her chin I shoulda called her Waddles!! I'll try to get some pics up here Soon. Thanks again.. and if you're the woman who had the Horrible Weekend (?) I'm very sorry - I really thought there was gonna be a happy ending OMG.. I'll be praying for the family