The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post but I am going to get straight to the matter at hand. I have a CAE positive boer doe, who is also about two weeks from kidding. We did not know she was positive and they were both pregnant when we got them from a very reputable CAE free herd. Delilah is her name, I love her to death she is the sweetest thing in the world. Penny our other one is fine. Anyway,

Delilah's hind right leg has been made completely useless by the CAE, she bears no weight on it. We have kept her alive because she has been happy, eating well, bright eyed.... Tonight I noticed that her left front knee is showing symptoms, swollen, painful, etc. She is still eating and seems happy, but being so pregnant with the extra weight I am concerned that she will be completely immobile in the next two weeks and in severe amounts of pain, until she kids, which my gut says will probably kill her, but we will have a baby or two from her. Or to put her down soon and not put her through anymore pain, but killing the babies in the process. I am at a loss, she has been being given banamine for pain. Any advice, opinions, anything would help. Thank you

Emily

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If it was me? Keep her as happy as you can and try and hold out for those kids. There is a topic that I just replied on, about a c section, and that would be the way I would do it. If she gets to the point you really don't think she can last that long then do what needs to be done but I would give it a try on the kids

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
In Pat Colby's book, she said that she kept several CAE goats alive until the kidded with weekly multi-Vitamin injections. Might be a thing to look into.
As long as she's still bright eyed and eating, etc. I'd let her kid out before putting her down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts