Difficult FF labor and delivery

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NDinKY, Jun 15, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    My last doe of the season kidded early this morning. Due date was 6/18. She was in early labor all night and had some reddish brown discharge which I didn’t think looked right but she wasn’t pushing. She was not as active as most of my others in early labor, mostly laying down. I checked on her every hour throughout the night and at 6:15 she started pushing. At 6:45 the first kid appeared but she struggled to get it out. I ended up pulling it in the sac (didn’t need to go in, it was about 2 inches out) and had a hard time as things did not seem lubricated. It was a very tiny kid that looked premature and was DOA. The next kid quickly came and I had to help with that one as well due to lack of lubrication. That kid was huge and also DOA. Then a third kid that I helped pull, same as the other two, except this buckling was alive.

We got him dried off and he was standing but the doe seemed exhausted and didn’t want to get up. We finally got her up, licking the baby, eating some grain, and drinking some molasses water. She still seemed dull and exhausted so we took her temp and it was 102.5.

My husband said she was up and doing better (I had to go in to work). Should we be concerned with infection? There was no smell or signs of decomposition in either of the DOAs.

Should I have called the vet with the reddish brown mucus discharge last night? There was no pushing at that point, just mild contractions. She got hit pretty hard a couple of days ago by the herd queen, is this a likely cause for the DOAs? Does she need antibiotics (intrauterine or systemic) since I didn’t go in and only pulled from outside?

This is our first kidding with DOAs and having to help pull babies. We’ve been fortunate, so I’d like to learn from this. I’m happy that at least one was alive, I feel really bad for my doe.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for the losses. :(

I would start her on antibiotics, dead kids within can release toxins quickly after death. It is just in case.

If she doesn't stink, you are ahead of the game.

PenG 2 x a day, 1 cc per 20 lbs SQ for 7 days.

NDinKY, MadHouse and Ashlynn like this.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Ok, I’ll pick some up today. I only have LA 200 on hand. She looked a lot better last night, bright eyed and very attentive to her surviving kid.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm sorry for your loss, it's Always best to err on the side of caution when it comes to Kidding but even in ideal situations stuff happens. If I see red (amber) goo and no kids within 30-45 min I go in and check, or if labor seems to be taking too long. CMPK is also good to have on hand to give the doe a boost.
    I'm glad she's up and taking good care of her remaining buckling, that's a good sign.
    I agree that penn g is called for as a precaution in this case.
    I can't wait to see a pic of your new little guy.

toth boer goats, MadHouse and NDinKY like this.
  5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I was concerned with the reddish mucus but since she wasn’t having contractions I didn’t want to be too aggressive. Next time I’ll call my vet or try to go in. I do have CPMK on hand but didn’t think to give it. Is that something I should give now? She’s looking much better today but I’ll proceed with the penicillin.

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Giving her a dose wouldn't hurt. Just a question though...do you do selenium
    /vitamin e gel regularly or replemin? A lack of selenium can also cause weak contractions and ineffective labor.

Sfgwife likes this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We do BoSe twice a year. She was dosed 2.5 weeks ago (3 weeks prior to due date). I give the vitamin E capsule when we BoSe. They also have a selenium block available which they don’t touch.

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.
  8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Probably the hit by the queen may have caused the dead kids.
    I think that is my biggest dislike in a herd, a goat that rams others for no reason. Head on is ok, that is just goat stuff. A sneaky side ram is not acceptable in my book!

Sorry for the 2 losses, glad you did get a live baby!

MadHouse, GoofyGoat and NDinKY like this.
  9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    The herd queen can be not so nice sometimes. Usually doesn’t ram from the side though. Unfortunately she is my nicest doe, but if this becomes a habit she may need to go.

We’re making plans to come up with a new buck area, reducing our bucks to 2-3, so we can use the buck side as a second doe side. This would allow us to run does separately if needed (preggos and new mamas in one, dry does in the other). Everyone has been a bit sassy lately, not sure if it’s hormonal changes or what.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  11. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Here’s the little guy, probably going to call him Lucky.

B1314382-F790-4EF8-8EAE-9C88FD0E225A.jpeg 2BF2D095-B7A2-41D3-AEC8-C494D1D5265E.jpeg

Blue eyed and hoping he’s polled, should make someone a cute little wether. I picked up the penicillin today so I’ll give mama the 7 day course.

Damfino and MadHouse like this.
  12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Aww. How sweet! The boys are always so daggone cute! (Then they grow up.....)

MadHouse likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ve completed 6 days of the penicillin and now she’s got scours. I’m pretty sure it’s antibiotic associated diarrhea as nothing has changed in her diet and antibiotics are well known for causing diarrhea. I’ve given her some probiotics and electrolyte gel. Hopefully she stops scouring soon.

MadHouse likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a fecal in case for cocci and worms.

You can use pig scour guard, double dosage it says on the label.
    If she is clean. It stops scouring quickly.