The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know I started out with three Nubian kids this spring. One doeling and two bucklings. I never wanted both bucklings that just sorta happened but anyway. I lost both boys to coccidia. I have wrestled with feeling like an inadequate goat keeper. I have told myself if the doeling doesn't make it I am done, I am not going to get anymore. Well Daffodil is on day 4 of the Alban and she seems perkier. She is moving around zippier and she is more sparkly eyed. Still though, she doesn't have berries yet. She has a formed pellet that looks like berries mashed together, so we are getting there. I think at this point that she will make it. I fear her coming down with it again though. I think I am completely coccidia gun shy now.
Now to the dilemma part. I found a registered, disbudded, beautifully moonspotted, buckling in my area for a decent price. I want him. I feel like it may be unwise to buy another right now though. I don't know for sure Daffodil will live. I am afraid he will come down with coccidia and here we go again. But the thing is he is what I was looking for when I found my bucklings. It is hard to find registered or even full blood Nubian bucklings here this year who aren't sky high. This guy isn't cheap cheap but reasonable. Especially to be so beautifully colored. His confo is nice too, at least as far as my amateur eyes can judge.
Should I get him or pass. Do you guys think I need to just get Daffy through this before I add to my herd. Should I just wait til next year? Or should I grab this opportunity for this beautiful buckling?
I don't know what to do, since the boys died Daffodil is so lonely she calls so much she is hoarse. But I feel like I am risking any goats life I bring here as well. I could separate for now, but I figure the coccidia is in all the ground here. What would you do? Honestly, in my shoes?
Remember our original goal was to breed Nubians and show and make goats milk soap and consume the milk because I am allergic to cows milk. So I will eventually need a buck if we continue towards our goal.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any advice or are y'all just scared to say, "your and idiot and you don't need anymore goats"?
Seriously I really need help making this decision. I don't want Daffodil lonely. I also don't want another dead goat though.

·
Registered
30,634 Posts
If it were me....I would wait...not because I think your doe will not makeit..but because she doesnt need any stress while she gets better...a buck can only stay with her until he gets frisky..then its a risk for her...so what she actually needs is another doe buddy..and since you will not want to breed Daffodil until she is much much older you will be raising and feeding your new buck a long time not to mention his pen buddy because he will need one too...SOoooooo.my long winded speech pretty much sums to let Daf rest and heal, then find her a doe friend : ) Hope I didnt completly burst your bubble :) you know we will support what ever decision you make..

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think it's your decision, but if it were me, of course I'd want to get the goats. :) I wouldn't be scared of coccidia; it's something all goat owners have to deal with from time to time. I just had cocci. problems here recently, and my goats got treated for it, and they're doing fine now. It's like deworming- you just have to deal with it as it comes. Poor Daffodil; I hope she gets a companion very soon. I wouldn't worry; if you continue to browse this forum, you can't go wrong. Everyone is super helpful. I hope you decide to keep your goats. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Well, if you did get the buck, he would have to be separate from your doe until she is of breeding size. You can get him, but it wouldn't be much of an investment to have 1 buck for your one doe.
I would get more does, AND the buck to build your herd.

If you have a separate pen for the buck, then get him. But definitely add to your does to make it worth while of owning a buck.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If he is at a decent price, I would go for it. You have learned a lot already and have grown in your goat keeping skills. If he is what you are looking for, do it. Coccidia is something we all deal with. Most of us have lost goats to it at one time or another. It happens. It doesn't mean you are a terrible goat owner. :)

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah my plan is to get at least two more does as many as three more. I would like to get an adult doe in milk but I haven't found one of those I liked the looks of at all yet. If I were to get a registered buckling. I would try to find some registered does, Daffodil isn't registered, she is full blood and could have been registered if her former owner would have registered all her parents. I don't know, sometimes I wish I hadn't started this project at all. If I had known I would lose two babies I wouldn't have.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This lady has three registered bucklings for sale all spotted all gorgeous, the one I really want is super gorgeous. I feel like she has lots of goats, she may not part with any others but part of me wants to go see just to see if she has a doe in milk or some doelings she might part with. You know though if I go the 3 hours to her house and see those baby bucklings I am going to want to bring them home!!! Logic will go out the window!!

·
Registered
30,634 Posts
lol...those sweet faces make it hard to say no....Sounds like to me you are ready to build your herd....and you know what you want...follow your heart..then post lots of pictures ;)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
We have lost at least 5 goats since we started, all from ignorance, but I am more into having goats now than I was then, simply because I'm learning so much more. It's a great feeling to be able to take better care of your animals, and since I joined this forum, I've felt a lot more able to do that.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
We've all lost goats, I've lost more animals to my neighbors than anything. My property is a burial ground pretty much, but I still raise them, and I'll be doing it until I draw my last breath. I had a disease that our does came back from show with, wiped out my entire herd within a year. I stopped raising goats for about 8 years, then I started up again on the other side of my property. When disease comes the ground needs to rest and rid itself of it, that's why I waited that long.
They are disease free, and healthy, until the neighbors do something to them again.
But I have cameras being set up now, so the poisoning and everything is going to stop.

Considering all the years of my Murphy's Law (my maiden name IS Murphy), and bad neighbours, one would think I would quit, but I'm set in my ways about things, nothing will deter me if I want something.
Don't give up, good out weighs the bad.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This lady lives 3 plus hours from me in the middle of a national forest. I was thinking of leaving Friday afternoon, staying the night somewhere, doing some sight seeing that morning, then heading to her place that afternoon to see/possibly get the goat/s then head home. Making a little mini trip out of it. She lives in a beautiful part of the state. My daughter of course, wants to get the buckling. I do too, but I also don't want to mess up again either. I would go to just look but A) that would be wasting a seller's time if I really wasn't planning to buy. B) I know the cute goat faces would make me lose all reason and C) my truck drinks gas so if I am taking it somewhere three hours away I better be hauling something back or at least planning to. I have been texting the lady all day and she seems knowledgeable and I like her answers. Her herd is a closed herd and her original members came from cl, cae, Johnes free stock, so I guess her's should be clean right? She says she hasn't had them tested but hasn't seen any sign of illness and it is a closed herd, no one going in or out.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
well, you can always get the lady to send some pics and have us try to help you pick a goat.....

i lost one in December from ignorance, and hummed and haa'ed about getting another one. we ended up getting another one, and really....it's great.

maybe treat the trip just as it is...a trip. go, enjoy the scenery, and if you get a goat, then you get a goat. if not...then you don't. but if you do...be sure to share some pictures! we love pictures!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't think you're an idiot, and I don't think losing 2 kids makes you a bad or inadequate goat keeper. I told you, coccidia is a tough one - and I didn't say that to make you feel better - I said it because it's the truth! Nine times out of ten the owner treats and the goat dies anyway. By the time the symptoms show up and you know what you're dealing with the intestinal tract is too badly damaged to provide nutrition and the kid dies. That is the nature of coccidiosis. If I were you, I would research the hell out of it so I knew what I needed to do to keep Daffodil from becoming re-infected and bring home another kid safely. I know that sunlight will kill the oocytes, but I'm not sure how long it takes. Read this article, it has some good information in it.

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/coccidiosis/goatcoccidia.shtml

After you read it and do some research, you will know whether you can bring another goat into your place without having to worry about him getting sick. I don't mean to sound like a bitch, nor am I being flippant, but raising animals is not easy! If you have them, you will lose them - the two go hand in hand, it's just how it is. Before you even think about buying another kid, you have to decide whether you can handle what comes with buying another kid. Based on your posts about Cream Puff I think you do, but you have to believe it. I hope this helps in some way. :)

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have some pics but afraid to share them because she didn't authorize me to share them. I try not to step on anyone's toes. They are super freaking cute though. Fawn colored boys with moon spots they all have some the one I want most has LOUD moonspots and the bars on his face like my Daffodil

·
Goat Grandma
105 Posts
We had a problem with coccidiosis going through our junior doe pen in our early years. Didn't lose any, but we paid attention to our vet and took away their grain completely. Now we never introduce grain (just feed alfalfa hay) to our does until they are close to kidding and then only slowly. We only feed grain on the milk stand, period. Our bucks don't get grain at all.

Yes, this was with nigerian dwarf doelings, but we've also successfully raised nubians and french alpines over the years. We have never had a problem with coccidia in the past decade and don't expect any problems in the future.

Don't give up, we all lose a few to one reason or the next.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I have just been lucky with other livestock and animals. I hardly ever have a horse get hurt or sick. I have lost 4 horses in my lifetime but all of them were over 25 one was 36. We did lose a lot of calves though, I think I need to remember that. We didn't lose many adult cows but we did lose a lot of calves. I can remember mom and dad seeming pretty devastated when we lost calves. I have lost chickens and ducks but always to predators never to illness. Usually if I treated a sick animal it got better. I think what hit me hardest about these bucklings is they seemed to be getting BETTER when they died. It was after five days of sulmet when both of them died. They had been sicker acting and were on the upswing. THAT scares me, how do you know if they are better or not? Leroy Brown was back to pooping berries then suddenly the diarrhea came back and he was dead, within a day. Really within hours.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Personally I wouldnt buy the buck. That is a whole different can of worms you are going to open. If you dont have separate pen areas by the time they are 3 months old you could be looking at babies having babies by the time they are 8-10 months old and thats not a good thing. Then you have to understand that you cant just put up some field fencing and expect a full grown boy in rut to not blast his way through that in no time. We pen our bucks with the metal horse panels because everything else just gets destroyed in a few years. If you want a complete listing of ADGA breeders in your area, just join it. You will get a complete list of all breeders when you get your packet. Or even ask this other lady if she would be willing to offer breeding services. I would ask about her CAE / CL / Johnes status. If she isnt clean you dont want to buy from her anyways. And if she doesnt ask that you have yours tested before she agrees to offer a buck service, you shouldnt use her anyways. Goats are super easy to buy. But not so much if you are looking to buy them right. As I am guessing the ones that got the cocci were already infected before you brought them home, so you have already experienced the buying of goats from a ignorant breeder. So I would suggest you do some research about the main goat diseases just so you can get an understanding on what kinda problems they cause before you buy. If someone doesnt have current test results in hand to show that their animals are clean, dont buy from them. Because you can either pay a little more now for clean goats or pay a lot more later on trying to make them clean.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts