The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has recently been confirmed that 2 of my goats carry the cryptorchidism gene. My doe May, who just had a cryptorchid baby boy, and her brother Momo, who sired a cryptorchid buckling last year. It was because of this second cryptorchid that we know now it comes from these two.
I have 2 bucks, Momo and Jeffrey. Jeffrey is unrelated, so I can keep him for breeding.
I see two options for Momo. Either wether him, or ... have him put down.
I love Momo. He came here wild and scared, and now trusts me ( mostly...) and loves me.
But he lives for his girls.
From what I have read on here, neutering a grown buck doesn’t always take their urges away. I am pretty sure he would be one of those guys.
I am heart broken.
Rut starts end of July here. I don’t want him to go through it again. Last year he lost condition, got skin problems from urinating on himself... He and Jeffrey are already practicing with each other, lol, and bloodying up their heads.
I wouldn’t object to him being slaughterd for eating, as weird as this may sound. It’s just that I am not trained in that business, and I would hate for him to freak out having to go in someone’s vehicle...
That’s why I think to have the vet put him down. He would come and doit here.
I am trying to deal with my feelings, so that’s why I am sharing this with you guys.
Maybe someone here has a billiant idea I haven’t thought of.

·
I'm watching you
22,269 Posts
The mature bucks that I've had wethered have always been calmer wethers than the ones done young. Doing it now, he may still go through a mild rut season because it does take time to get rid of all the testosterone. He will be way different than he is now by next spring though.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Wethers are wonderful. And it won't hurt that he's wethered later in life. You know what they say about horses: A good stallion makes a GREAT gelding. I think the same is true for goats. And you can teach him to pull a cart and carry a pack. You can do this with bucks too but they stink up your equipment something fierce and they tend to pee on themselves and people they are excited to meet, which is never a great way to introduce anyone to goats.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your respnses.
That all sounds wonderful. I would love dor him to become a quiet love bug!
But... I had Momo’s cryptorchid son Jersey surgically fixed, and after 6 months he still had not settled down. Jersey became more buckish over time, destroying property, beating up his brother at night in the stall... He got along well with the bucks, in a buck way. But there was no settling of that energy. I ended up selling him for meat, because I could not justify him taking so much space and food, but just giving me so much grief. A young couple came and picked him up in a Toyota hybrid, to take to an experienced man to be slaughtered. I found it hard, but was ok with it.
So... my fear is that Momo also won’t settle. That he will suffer through another rut, and then I will at this point again. I guess I am afraid to hope for a successful outcome, because I was already disappointed once.
My vet doesn’t want to do banding on him, but suggests the burdizzo. Which I have heard often has to be repeated.
None of it is easy, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About Jersey, the vet suspects they left a tiny strand of tissue behind that would have continued to create testosterone.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does momo have two beans dangling? If so it may work for him where it did not the little guy. The vet can get all of the testes and vas deference.
Yes, he has the full set dangling.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Castrating a cryptorchid animal is always tricky. Cryptorchid stallions are usually a lot more aggressive and "stallionish" than normal ones. Castrating them helps, but many of them remain more difficult than normal geldings even if the surgery was done right. I'm not sure why that is the case. Hormones are not only produced in the testes but also in the pituitary, so I sometimes wonder if cryptorchid males have more pituitary hormone production.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I am still pondering what to do...
Currently Momo gets along alright with the other buck, Jeffrey.
This is a major improvement from last year. Momo has finally allowed Jeffrey boss status. Jeffrey gets possessive over food, and will grunt and head butt Momo over it. (He is not allowed to do that in my presence, and grudgingly respects that, but as soon as I am out of their pen I hear him). In your experience, is this a personal trait, or does Jeffrey do this moreso, because Momo is another buck?
In other words... is there a chance this food aggression on Jeffrey’s side will get better if I keep Momo as his wethered companion?
Thanks for your time.

·
8,163 Posts
They all do the food thing. One has to be top goat and that leaves the other as bottom, so a continual jostling of hierarchy. The only thing to do with food is tie them both up at feeding time.

I agree, castration might help, at least you try. If it doesn't work, then make a different decision.

You said he carries the gene, is he a cryptocord himself? Or just a carrier?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They all do the food thing. One has to be top goat and that leaves the other as bottom, so a continual jostling of hierarchy. The only thing to do with food is tie them both up at feeding time.

I agree, castration might help, at least you try. If it doesn't work, then make a different decision.

You said he carries the gene, is he a cryptocord himself? Or just a carrier?
He is the carrier. He and his sister each produced a cryptorchid.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts