The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to treat my goats for cocci. (Again), and I only have %12.5 Dimethox. I don't know if it's effective enough as a treatment and not just preventative. I tried to get %40, but it was not available at the time. should I order some? I need to treat right away, and I don't want to wait for an order thought the mail. I have Corid on hand, but I'd rather not use it. If it'll be more effective, though, I'll use it instead of the 12.5.

·
14,615 Posts
No experience with the 40% I have only used the 12% but it turned out not to be cocci.
I think corrid is a thiamine inhibitor but could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've heard that, I don't really have a problem using it, but I'd rather use the Dimethox if I can.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I have heard that the 12.5% is a good cocci treatment. No experience here. I know Dimenthox and Sulmet are more commonly suggested than Corid, though a lot of people do have success with that as well. I would start treatment as soon as possible with your Dimenthox 12.5%.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, my whole herd was treated with corid serval weeks ago- well, actually I'm not sure how many weeks, I think it was 7 or 8.

But they are in small pens with short grass that they nibble (I know, it's bad to have it like that, wasn't intentional, were trying to solve that problem) so I think they picked it up again or something; last fecals we had done said they still have some cocci. Not sure how bad it is. Can't be too bad, though, cause they act completely healthy and their coats are shiny and smooth.
I was just wanting to know if the Dimethox 12.5 was effective enough. I used it on three of them last week, because vet said they needed it the most; haven't had another fecal done yet, so I don't know how well it worked.
I'm going to do the rest starting tomorrow and was just making sure I was using something that would work.
Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts