The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was complaining about the alfalfa pellet situation here in another thread, so I decided to take some pictures and you all can see what I have to deal with.

Yes, I plan to contact the manufacturers and let them know quality control has been lacking. And no, I'm not going to get a refund b/c people here won't see it as an issue that you're not getting what you paid for..... i'll just be the person who makes them do more work..... (that's a WHOLE other rant i'm not going to try to get into...... lol).

So since not feeding alfalfa, my doe has decreased milk production by 25%, but i'm working on upping her forage intake.

And what you see is one scoop from each bag...i didn't pick through and get the stuff out. I should have taken a picture of the feather and piece of plastic in the ADM Alliance bag....but they're in there somewhere.

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the pictures of the pellets are blurry, but the first one has different colour flecks inside the pellets (could be corn...not too sure) and the last one has brown pieces in it - from dark to light, and different sizes!!! I mean...what do they PUT in those things???

it's like these batches were the last shift of the day, workers were tired and just didn't bother to clean the pelleter and/or the weigher.....

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
Wow, that is horrible. I never see anything like that here. Very obvious that they are taking advantage of you. Is there any type of grain grown on the island that you could purchase and sprout? What about purchasing organic oats or wheat and sprouting it?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get oats, that's not a problem. and it's fairly clean. there are a FEW corn pieces, a soybean here and there, and some dust. which...compared to this isn't that bad.

I've started fermented my grain now - oats, BOSS and peas. my black doe who had copper issues (bolused her a month ago) now has really soft and shiny fur.

some people grow peanuts, but i'm not sure who or where/how to get peanut hay. amaranth grow here like weeds, and my girls eat it ok...just not sure the nutritional content yet, but that is easy to find and feed to them. maybe i'll have to cut more of that since there are seeds and leaves they can and will eat.

buying organic oats and wheat are REALLY expensive. only organic wheat I can get is for human consumption, and it's like $2.50/lb.

I've heard from a few people alfalfa can't be grown here, but I think i'm going to get some seeds and give growing it a try....

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try rabbit pellets i'll bet they will be better. I know ours are great.
you'd think, but they look really dirty too..... and they make them here, nor do they have a list of ingredients that goes into the pellets. i'm not comfortable buying anything that doesn't have an ingredients list.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
This thing happens. They will use the same mill for many of their products. You just got the batch of pellets right after they finished with maybe a cob or something. Kinda like with the gas refineries. After they get done making exxon gas they move straight into making Shell. you get a mix of both there for a few what ever

But any decent feed store will take a bad bag back and replace it

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yes, decent is the operating word here.... there's not much decent going on here, let me tell you!

I get that some things can get in when they change the product at the mill, but I don't think it's reasonable to have that much overlap. when they're refining gas, it's just gas with different stuff put in. whereas when i'm buying a bag that says "alfalfa pellets", I expect to see only alfalfa pellets....not a mixture of questionable items in there.....

I've decided to donate these bags to a horse rescue. there are lots of ex-polo ponies and race horses that are basically given away to children to be left in a field to starve. the horses will enjoy these pellets...not the plastic piece or corn though. it's less hassle for me than to argue with ignorant island folk vs. donating to a good cause....

·
558 Posts
They look like the wood pellets we buy for our pellet stove....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts