Disbud or Dehorn... or maybe do it right the first time?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Mar 27, 2011.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I had to show these pictures and show every WHY it is important to take disbudding seriously. I should have handled this sooner but I didn't. I did not disbud this buck, but I knew it should have been redone and I didn't get around to it. So today he finally got knocked out and dehorned. It was not a pleasant process. And it reminded me.. if you are going to take a HOT iron to an animals head to rid it of it's horns you better do it right. If not they grow scurs... even more dangerous than horns imo, especially when they start growing into the back of their head.

Here is before burning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After one horn off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other horn off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Wow. Sad for that little guy, but thanks for the educational images.
    Caryn

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Poor baby.....yep, Murphy had a scur and he was constantly knocking it off....his wasn't to bad. My vet cut it off once but it kept coming back......the vet said the only other thing to do was put Murphy under, cut it and reburn.......sadly I loss him before ever getting it done. Bones had scurs to and my vet did cut and reburn his when he had him under for casteration, thank the Lord Bones came through it fine and the scurs have never came back.....when I was new to goats I was a bit ignorant and did not realize how dangerous it can be to put a goat under.....really need a vet that knows what they are doing!

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't worry, he was given the good stuff so he doesn't remember it and he got pain killers. I just wanted to show everyone what happens when it isn't done right the first time.