Disbud question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Apr 3, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had little Bonnie disbudded about 2 hours ago, she did fine, though I can't say that for myself :(

Anyhow, she started scratching at the caps and has made the one bleed pretty bad...it was pooling and I had to keep applying pressure...I don't have bloodstop handy and I have used flour in a pinch...but how can I keep her from scratching it?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, it stopped bleeding and is "weepy" looking now, she's back to herself and doesn't hate me. Alls good.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    make sure that since she scratched it there is no infection in the days to come. I would just appy some peroxide if you see or smell infection starting. That clears it up real quick

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    What about jsut treatin with iodine now?

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Will do that....it was odd that she was scratching at it...I know it had to hurt her, but even with having 2 disbudded last year, they never scratched til the scabs started itching. Anyhow, will definately be keeping an eye out for any infection...once it dries out, would blue kote work or do you think it would sting too much? Will use peroxide as needed and I can dab some iodine on if the blue kote is a no-no.

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    i koted cloe right after i did her

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The burning itself hurt, I will use the blue kote but don't want it to "sting" her.....sorry, I'm a big baby when it comes to "deliberately" causing my kids pain! I even used ice to "numb" her ears before I tattoed her!

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    hee i just got it sll out of the way at once
    That way she got over it quick to

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You may want to get it touched up. Since it's weeping the iron probably wasn't held long enough. Especially if it started bleeding a lot.

I've noticed that they seem to scratch more if it wasn't burnt enough because not all the nerves were killed and they still have feeling to the bud. Versus if it's burnt long enough they don't have anymore feeling and just scratch a little at the edges.

But thats just me. :shrug: Oh, and I always use blue kote after I disbud. :wink:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ashely -- I have noticed this as well. Good point!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks Ashley. He did do it twice...I mean, burnt til the copper ring showed then did the "X" in the bud itself. I did watch though once she stopped crying, which was quick to stop, surprised me at how well she took it.

At bedtime, it was dry, and I didn't need to do anything to it, so I'll just watch it for the next few days, it took the 2 doelings last year about a week to "knock" the caps off, I'll see how she does tomorrow and if neede, I can take her back.

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    So should I worry that I need to redo Cleo since she still has the caps and its been 3 weeks? They haven't grown any. She just doesnt butt anything.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I wouldn't worry Jason, the caps on these does came off from them playing with other kids...I had 9 here at that point, and baby headbutting games were very common as well as rubbing their itchy heads on anything they could. I'm sure that Cleo is fine.

14. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    She has really started rubbin her head on stuff, but she wont make contact with the nigies, shes scared

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    BB's disbud area is fine...dabbed iodine on them daily...just to be safe, for the 3 days following, all dry and healing now and she quit scratching at them :leap:

16. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :leap: always a relief when they stop scarin us