Disbudded kids

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Di, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, I disbudded Carlys (NDG) doelings yesterday and now she won't feed them. :sigh: I expressed some milk and rubbed it on their heads, but that didn't seem to help. I had to hold her this morning, man I've never seen her kick like that! Should I keep trying? Will she take them back? Oh darn! :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she a first time mom? yes keep holding her.

In the future be sure to give the kids back to mom butt first

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Di, I am so sorry that you are having trouble with this. I hope she takes her. I would milk her out a bit and keep putting a little milk on her head and butt.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    No, she's a 2nd freshener. She didn't have a bad reaction last time, welcomed the kids back with no problem. Oh darn, I guess I'll make up a bottle and see if they will take it. Far as I know they only got that feeding this morning. She's not being evil to them, just walks away or moves if they try It was kinda funny, she was laying down and both girls were bouncing on her as if to say "get up Mommy, we're hungry!" Thanks for the help!

5. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Di,

How old were/are the kids when you disbudded them? It looks like both my girls will kid next month and I will be disbudding soon. I am wondering if the age at the time of disbudding would trigger the doe to turn away from her babies?

Also, hope I remember Stacy's advice to give them back to the doe butt first.

The goat-grandma anxiety is building . . .

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I know how you feel Beelady, well, they were almost 3 weeks old...a little later then I like...but the horn buds weren't very big...so it was fine...burned them and the kids had no problems. I finally brought both girls in yesterday and tried a bottle. One finally took it, with gusto! The other...not so much. When I took them back out, we were in for half hour or so, she let them nurse! So, I think crisis solved!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  8. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We had a Nubian doe that would always reject her kids after they were disbudded and they would get really sick, her first kid we didn't take away but her 2nd kidding we took her twin does away from her and bottle fed one of them, the other one wouldn't take to a bottle so she drank from a dish.