Disbudded our first kid! Questions!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by GotmygoatMTJ, Mar 12, 2011.

1. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

We disbudded our first kid today. Wow, that was an experience! We don't have a kid box (but now we see the necessity!!!) and we think we did okay.
    Going to try to post pictures of the horn buds soon.

Some questions!
    This was a alpineX kid that is 2 weeks old.
    Her horns were just about ready to poke through
    We burned her horn buds until we saw a copper ring. I saw that RunAround did it til a white ring, but we were feeling so bad for the kid we couldn't do anymore. The caps did come off and we burned the top quite a bit. She got Aloe Vera and her babba right after.
    My question is, how likely will it be that horns/scurs will happen anyway? And how how soon will they start growing if we didn't do a good enough job? Also, would it be okay to disbud her Again if they start growing back?

Thank you all for your replies! We are a bit shaken up over here, first time for everything I guess! Just a litttttlleee bit more hard to do than tattooing!
    Aggh!

:laugh:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she's going to scur, you'll notice growth in 2-3 weeks, on the outer edges of the ring/ good for you, I still don't know if I will be able to do this myself!

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    This is a major problem for some folks. I am dissapointed that (I think) my girl is going to have a scur on the one side. She was done at 5 days old and is now 6 weeks old. I notice there is some growth on the one side that looks like it may turn into a scur. I won't reburn her at this age, I think it would be too hard on her. I will band it when it gets big enough and hopefully it will never amount to much.

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I just did it for the first time myself a couple weeks ago. I did six, and took two really small does to the vet who has always done them for me. Now he is going to do the next four. I am waiting to see if the six I did turn out all right. I'm not so horrified by scurs, and I don't show them, so it doesn't really matter about them, but my neighbor did it for the first time last year and said the kids actually grew horns. So that would be a problem. I don't have any more kids due until Apr 30, so I have time to see what happens to these. I was pretty tentative compared to my vet.

Good for you! I have a kidding box, I just never used it. I don't think I could do it without one.

Jan

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

It was quite tricky trying to hold her! Couldn't keep her head still for more then half a second. Arrggghhh!
    Checked on her and all seems fine, no bleeding or oozing. :)