disbudding a pygmy/nigerian

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Devin, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Hey all! I was looking at rowdy's buds and they sit right over his eyes. can he be disbudded??? We have a friend that is going to help us on thursday and I will ask her opinion, but she's never done a little guy before, only alpines. Are all pygmy/nigerians buds so far forward?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I shave heads to be able to see the buds better...I have a friend do my disbuds and shaving helps.

Once his head is shaved over the buds, you can inspect them closer...bucklings tend to have little points by the time they are 10 days old, at 2 weeks, the horn base is almost too big at the base to get a good burn. The heads of mini's are smaller but the horns usually grow from the same place as the large breeds...also, have your friend double check to be sure he isn't polled which is a possibility if either one of his parents are polled.

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I will try to post a pic to show you what I am talking about. I'm so new to this, maybe they are where they are supposed to be, but it sure seems too far forward!

4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    OK, I got 3 pics, not great, because he was squirming lol! But my finger or my thumb is sitting on top of the bud.

Attached Files:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Normal...when the burn is done, your friend will need to have a gloved hand to hold him still so the iron doesn't slip and catch an eye.

They are adorable! Arabella looks like she's having fun!

6. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    LOL! She was, it was hard to snap a pic because she was running all over the place! By the time it snaped she was gone lol!

Thanks for your insight on Rowdy, his head is just so TINY that it worries me on the disbudding iron being too big or his head too little or the bud too far forward etc lol! He is no bigger than a young puppy right now, gosh my cats look huge compared to him!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I know how you feel...my 2 little ones will be getting done as well, their heads are smaller than tennis balls.
    With boys, the horn base is bigger than what you'd think, so getting a good copper ring towards the front over the brow is best.

I have 2 horned boys...Hank and Teddy, Hank is a buck and Teddy was a buck, Teddy has the heavy horns of a buck because he was castrated at 2 years old, had he been banded at 8 weeks, his horns would have been more like my girls. Testosterone plays a significant role in horn growth. Teddy is a pygmy/nigerian cross.

8. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    That makes sense, never thought about that! I know what you mean on the tennis ball size! he is so little it really makes me feel protective lol!

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Liz, I was reading one of your thread about polled kids and now I think that he might actually be polled? He is 10 days old today and his bumps on his head are smooth as can be. there are no points. I didn't know before today that polled can still have bumps, I just assumed they didn't have anything. I feel silly! His bumps are smooth black skin over a smooth bump. I would think that a buckling would have points by now??? they have not gotten any bigger than they were at 3 days. Could he be polled?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The best way to tell for sure would be to get a close enough pic of his head, one of the top and one with him looking at you...post it and others who have polled kids can tell you for sure wether or not he'll need burned. Now, do you know any info on his parents? One parent needs to be polled in order to have a polled kid, are either of his parents polled?

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    no, I don't know squat about his parents :( sorry! I'll try to get a pic, but he's sick today (cough) so it may take a day or 2.