Disbudding AGAIN (pics added post 9)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Mar 19, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ok IF the vet does not call me back with a price I am going to be forced to disbud Dancer and Lovey AGAIN. My mentor did it the first time and the horns are growing back. They are now about 1" long and pretty thick at the base. The disbud iron will still fit around the base but I am worried about the amount of time it may take, I don't want to cook their brains. Any suggestions? They are also too big to fit in the disbud box and at around 40 lbs they are strong. Any suggestions? These do not look like scurs.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Disbudding AGAIN

your kids are 40lbs already :shocked: how old are they?

YOu will have to have someone hold them for you (have this person wear gloves)

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Your going to have to have someone hold them down. Or use your milking stand if you have one.

You are going to have to burn a long time and they still will probably have scurs after it's all over and done with. It might not be worth it as this point.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Stacey, these are the 2 baby girls we got almost 3 months ago, see the what hav I gotten my self into post.. Would it be better if we waited and then banded the horns? Dancer is really going to look funny with 1 horn :shocked: since the other one burned off just fine.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if you can post a picture that would help :) at 3 months they might be better off getting them banded but I have never banded so I cant help you there

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I will shave them and post a picture in the morning. Their little heads are hairy.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

If you have to band it then contact Kate(Helmstead), I just saw another thread where she had done some of her goats. She's very knowledgeable about it :thumb:

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Thank you, I will contact hr if it comes to that.

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

OK I got them shaved and took some pictures of the horns/scurs. On Dancer its a scur, its very loose and doesn't seem to be attached by anything but skin. She just has the single scur as the other one is GONE and never come back after the disbudding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovey is a different story as the scurs are thicker. They are also loose but not as loose as Dancers. Lovey has scurs on both sides. I am wondering if banding is an option on these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advice is welcome as well as concerns.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they are beyond the point of disbudding in my oppion. I would band them. Shave a notch near the base of the horn and then put elastrator bands on them - tape it on and change the bands like once a week

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, way past the point of disbudding.

Your only option now is de-horning(done by vet) or banding. I would go with Banding.

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I don't think the scurs are attatched to the skull as they are pretty loose. I can get a band under those knot looking parts without any trouble. Will the bands lake the blood loss minimal from the skin when its severed?

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the band will do usualy what it does for a male goat when you band him - cuts off the circulation causing the horn to die and fall off. sometimes there is a bit of blood other times there is no blood.

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I will band them Thursday so I can keep an eye on them the 3 days I am off. It shouldn't take long since its mainly just skin.

Oh one more question. Since the horns are not attached, when they do come off they should not come back, right?

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah if banded correctly they shouldnt return

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i re disbuddded some kids for a friend last year, the kids were about fourty lbs each and four to five months old at the time. I couldnt fit the doe tip over them, but i did take that off and i was able to get the cattle tip over their horns which were between two and three inches each. I burned until the horn itself was pretty burnt, about ten seconds on each side. Much longer then i ever would of done on newborns that just had buds. I left the horn there and a few weeks later they just fell off. never to be seen or heard from again.
    If the scurs move around and dont feel attached, you can cut them with hoof trimmers, and then cauterize them with the disbudding iron. I have baned scurs before, but this is scurs that i couldnt move.
    Banding takes a lot longer and has to be burned anyways after then horn/scur falls off.
    beth