Disbudding...can I burn him again?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by pennylullabelle, Jul 20, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I have a 5 week old kid who I burned at 12 days (WAY too long I know!). I used to have a big farm I live near do it but she was so swamped...so I bit the bullet and got a burner since he was getting older and needed to get done!

So, here's the deal, he's 5 weeks old and the scabs have come off. There are small nubs growing in. They are uneven from burned areas. Can I burn him again d'you think? I'd like to avoid big scurs on him in her new pet home.

Did my other 3 kids today at 3 and 4 days old. Much better. ;)

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    yes, you can reburn... but I usually just band them at that point... I had one of my bucklings reburned 3 X and he still grew scurs back.... so for me if it doesn't work the first time we either deal with it or band. :)

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Yes, you can reburn. My burning tip is a small one specifically for nigerians & I'm finding that I'm going to need to do some extra burning on the bucks. My does all turned out great but I'm going to do the burn over the horn bud & then do a second burn in front of that on the bucks because I had a lot of bucklings grow scurs from that area in front of the original burn.
    Either that or I may try a full goat sized tip for the bucks. Maybe that will cover more area & get it all at once.

4. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    People do re-burn. If one of mine grows scurs I deal with it. Some scurs are loose and get knocked off time and again during butting one another. If a scur is solid I just keep it clipped back. Of course I raise goats for meat and not for show. That may make a difference.
    Personally I have made the decision to put my goats through that procedure only once. I'm fairly certain it's just a tad uncomfortable.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I've burned buck kids way older than 12 days. . . not something I do often but have before successfully. Bucks are really hard to get right though. Woody (our Castle Rock buck) has grown in scurs, happens to the best. . .

You could try re-burning but banding seems the easiest option unless they are not that big.