The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we had planned to do 7 kids today and 7 tomorrow. When we got done with the first 7, I said, "we must be getting faster, let's just finish them". So, got all 14 kids disbudded, in a little over an hour. Got it down to assembly line fast...and yes...some were overdue...:mad:

I'm never letting that happen again...someone had a video of her doing her kids by herself...I have to learn to do that.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
We do all our kids in one day. Our does are on synchronized cycles so they all kid within a week to a week and a half of each other.
One time we had 60 does, and many twin kiddings, sometimes up to quad kiddings. So we had a lot to disbud, tattoo, and vaccinate.
We did all the processing in one day. Me and my daughters. You get FAST when you got over 100 kids to do!
I processed all the kids. As soon as my daughter handed me a kid, she'd go and grab another one, while I processed and the other daughter helped hold them down.
I have one set of tattoo clamps with the herd name so I don't have to change that one, and the other for the for the year numbers and letters that I would have to change.

All the shots were pre drawn from earlier to make it go faster.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Way to go! :hi5: I did a bunch of disbuddings today too! I think I did around 40 kids. But so glad most of them are done...I always hate the disbudding and tattooing. Tattooing I find the worst though.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I agree Kylee, but, the goats don't seem to mind the tattooing as much as I do. I was telling DH that you had 4-5 times as many as we do. Wow, that is a lot of kids!

Well, my last kids of the season were born yesterday, twin does! Yeah! Tonight I'm separating the kids from their mothers at night. I have a portable pen that is going to be set up around a shelter. So, they will be "corralled" but still be able to see mom. Hopefully, they will settle down and be quiet...I have a neighbor that is about 100ft away...we'll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts