DISBUDDING HELP

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Plumbago, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Hi Everyone
    I have had to redo a disbudding on a 3 week old male kid due to the buds appearing. He was initially disbudded at 3 days old.
    There was a little bleeding and he now has a mass of dried blood on top of bud area.
    I have sprayed with antiseptic and fly repellant but wondered should I wash area and treat with liquid antiseptic and get rid of dried blood etc or leave and wait until it falls off naturally

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally would just leave it on the horn bud or you could knock off the blood clot and cause bleeding again. If there is blood running down his face you can clean that

3. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I'd probably just leave it... but I'd be very prepared with bloodstop powder once it comes off naturally - probably from rubbing it or bumping it on something/someone. Just in case.... :)

4. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Thanks
    It has stopped bleeding , only bleed very slightly ... just worried th dried blood etc could be breeding ground for infection..

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    because it bled that means you didnt do the job well enough so more then likely he will need to be done again

6. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Oh my gosh hope not - that is the first time I have had one bleed and yet the iron was as hot as... been on for 20 minutes and tested before budding. Maybe I didn't apply firm/pressure on bud area when applied iron. Certainly burnt down to skull and could see the white and skin separated in a ring round bud.
    Certainly hope don't have to do it again - wouldn't he be too old?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can disbud at any age really -- just takes longer

I have just found that if they bleed then they werent burnt enough. :shrug:

8. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Stacey....
    What is your proceduce for disbudding?

I've heard holding the iron on for 5 seconds each side, then going back and doing another 5 seconds. And I've heard many variations on how many seconds and whether or not to go back and do a second burning. I actually do about 10 seconds and still go back a second round...but am I over-doing it?

I'm very intersted to know what you do? Maybe what you look for to know it's done?

I do agree that bleeding would imply it wasn't completely done, as the heat of the iron should "cauterize" and prevent/stop any bleeding. ?????

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I burn till I see white - I do a 10 second burn first and I roll the iron in a rotating manor as I count. And then I look to see if i put enough pressure in spots and then go back and add a second half burn for bucks in the front (they have wider horn bases) and then I watch to see if it starts to bleed or oos. If it does either I touch it with the iron and then I sit back and watch again.

10. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I've heard people say to "pull of the caps" -- I don't think I understand this? Maybe the Nigerians are different?

Do you know of any problems that come from over-doing it? I burn for 10 seconds (iron on for atleast 15 mins before EACH burn), rotating the iron like you said. I wait 15 mins in between every burn.
    Then I go back and do another 8 second burn, rotating and such just like the first. Oh and I use an x30 regular tip, not the miniature tip for the x50(?).

Then we spray w/anitbacterial and pain relieving spray.

I'm still getting little scurs, atleast on the boys... ???? Very aggravating!

Any tips?

11. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    This sounds like a resonable amount of time to burn....shouldn't get scurs but each goat is different. I am interested in hearing what others have to say. I will be disbudding kids soon.

12. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Holy Cow... You Ladies are really showing me up..... wow... I had a hard time doing an oral shot... but got over that and then did the SQ.... and that was very interesting... and now you guys are burning the poor kid's head... brutal.... However, I'm sure I'll get over it... what a learning curve this is getting to be....

13. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    I disbud my boer show prospect wethers as soon as I can feel a "horn bump" 10 days or so...I burn them maybe 20-30 seconds then snap the bud completely out. Just twist the iron and quickly snap the bud out by lifting a little while you push the iron, hard to explain but easy to do. You should be able to hear it hit the floor, a piece of flesh and horn material, then you know you have got it all. I only disbud wethers and never have scur problems using this method. I think this would be the same as "pulling the caps"