Disbudding Iron

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Dec 21, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Is this a good disbudding iron for goats? http://www.jefferspet.com/product/x30-e ... r-7845.cfm Hopefully the link works. . . .

There is another one on Hoegger's - with a tip made specifically for goats.

I really do not want to disbud our babies but this weather is crazy and I do not think I can even get to the person who normally disbuds them. I have disbudded kids before (but absolutely HATE doing it!) I'm so scared. . . . :worried: Any tips? Does anyone use any type of pain killer or anything?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use the rhinehart x30. It has worked great for me so far.

I couldn't get your link to work, the new jeffers website is terrible now!

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I think the link was the X30. I have the X30 and will be buying the X50 before I have anymore kids to do, the X30 is pretty good, but the tip doesn't really cover enough space, and it seems to get thinner with time....I would have to kind of "rock" it around the whole horn base to get a really good burn. From what I've heard the X50 is one of the best....

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I, too, have this one and like it alot

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have an x50, and love it. Its quick easy to use and i have never had a problem. This is actually the best time of year to disbud, as there are no flies. Its too cold for them. So even if you have a little bit of weeping in the spot there usually is cvery little risk of infection.
    beth

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like the wall lenk ....... had difficulties with my X30 :shrug:

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I am planning on buying the x40 . . . . .does the normal tip work for Nigies?

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No idea, I just like the x30 because the tip isn't too big on the nigi's

When I first disbudded I had my vet do it. Well he did it with a calf disbudder and my poor goats were horrified the rest of the day. There heads were all burnt and their eyelids swelled up so much they almost couldn't see the next day. :shocked:

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    You all make it seem so easy to disbud. . . . does anyone else freak out like me??? It has to be the absolute worst part of goat-raising! I even considered just getting out of raising goats last night 'cause I am freaking out about it. It's like I don't want to disbud our babies but then again, do not trust anyone else to do it. :hair: There is only one or two other people who I trust to do it. We have at least 6 inches of snow now and it started raining, so I can't get anywhere. I'm so frustrated! :(

10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm always a bit nervous right before I do it...but then once it's over it's really not all that bad. Definitely not the most pleasant part of goat raising, but very necessary.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i hate doing it!! but it has to be done.. easy as that.. just bite the bullet and its done

i use the lenk dehorner.. for the same reason as stacey

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The thing is that I'm not scared to do the larger dairy breeds or Boer goats because their heads are larger and it's just not as scary for me. . . . but the little Nigerians - it just scares me so much. It wouldn't be hard if I could knock 'em out, like the vet, but that's not possible. :sigh:

13. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I see why you are scared, Olivia. Considering it could hurt them badly (from what I've read), I wouldn't trust myself.
    But the thing is, you will continue to be scared until you do do it a few times, I would imagine. So try and stay relaxed, or get your dad/mum/sibling/auntie whatever to help you. I hope you go alright if you do. :hug:

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just wondering what everyone thinks of surgical disbudding? I have read somewhere that you can have the vet do it, he cuts over the horn bud, removes the bud and then puts a little stitch in the incision. Obviously its gonna be more expensive doing it this way, but what are the pros/cons? What are the chances of scurs forming?

Call me a baby, but I hate the though of disbudding them :( it freaks me out, but I guess if I do it a few times it wont seem so bad.

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Disbudding young kids is the most humane way to remove horns. Doesn't sound humane, but it actually is, compared to the other methods.

I may have found someone to do it for us though! Happy day!! :stars: I am really hoping it works out. :pray: I really do not want to disbud! I may buy an iron though and see if I can hire someone to come out and do future kids, if we have a lot to do at one time. Then, also, if I absolutely have to do it, I do have the iron and can.

Now you all know what a major wimp I am. :roll: ;)

16. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    You are not a wimp for not liking to do something. It takes me longer to give a shot to the goats then to disbud them, now that's ridiculous but I cannot stand needles.

I have the X50 and a tip for the dairy goats and different one for the pygmies. I don't mind disbudding, but DH hates it as he holds for me, since he hasn't built me a box yet.

I would not recommend having the vet put them under as most goats do not do well with anesthisia and some actually die because of it, takes them longer to recover too.

Glad you found someone to do it for you though, now if only someone would come give my shots for me.

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    olivia.. i didn't dehorn my kids ( unless surgically) for the first two years of me raising them.. i couldn't do it at all!!

but then when i started haveing 5-15 kids at a time.. i HAD to do it.. and even though i vomit from the smell most times.. i know the kids are better off in the long run

and i know it seems easier on bigger goats.. but its really not.. and the x30 and lenk are small enough.. never burned a kids head or ears at all( except for the horn buds)

if i was closer. i would help you

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thats how i look at it, they are better off in the long run. no horns to accidently get caught on the fence no horns to accideently bump you in the face on the milkstand. no accidental puncture wounds.
    I do my alpine kids at anywhere from one to five days old. I very rarely wait longer, it take about theree seconds per horn and i have always gotten a good clean burn.
    beth

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh I hate doing it to, I never get use to it. Once they are born I dread disbudding them until it is done with.

I am such a wimp I scream with them when I burn. :GAAH:

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I know it is best for them. . . . just actually doing it is so hard for me. :( Thanks everyone for the help. :)