Disbudding kids tomorrow

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Di, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My Vet will be here tomorrow morning to disbud my first round of kids. :sigh: I'm going out now to clip around the horn buds. Wish me luck. This is almost as scary as the birthing part. I'm hopeful I can keep it together tomorrow.

Di

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Good luck! I am sure all will go fine. I think its harder on us than the kids. The kids have usually recovered long before I have. :wink:

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It'll be alright, you just have to remember that you do it for their better good :wink: I'm still not used to it, I have to have my mom do it still.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm a newbie at this too! I had a doeling done by another breeder who does his own..per her owners request as I prefer to KEEP the horns. I also took a lil' tiny doeling with the said doe as she will be sold with her polled sister and I felt it wouldn't be fair to the polled one to be defenseless.....any how I clipped them around their buds and the first one about fell asleep in my arms as I shaved! The procedure itself seemed ok...they didn't like being held down more than that super hot iron to their dinky little heads! First doeling fit well in the holding box, second one and her really short pygmy legs wouldn't fit..the box was too big! So she was held and the deed done they were bouncing around within minutes! I still can't bring myself to do it, banding the boys and giving shots is hard enough! lol

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    The first time I seen it done it made me sick to my stomach.
    My mom still cant take the disbudding so we have the vet do it. Right now I can't purchase an iron, if I could, I dont have anyone to hold the kids for me. Disbudding doesn't phase me now. I can take the screaming, squirming, stinky kids. Plus if I have the vet do the job, the kids hate the vet and vet assistant and love me when I come rescue them from those two mean people. LOL :ROFL: Its quite cheap having the vet do it to. We take the kids to the vets office so he only charges the disbudding fee. :thumb:

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My Vet was caring for the livestock for the office but they discontinued the "large animal" part of their business...so she's taking care of a few of us on her own time. So, I guess you'd say she's starting her own business, while she continues to work for the same office. Anyway, she gave us her cell # and I am always surprised when she answers! I suppose that won't last forever as her practice grows, but it's conforting to know she's there for us. I'm afraid some people don't pay their vets and that leads to this situation, it's much more lucrative to just take care of pets...even though I think of my little goaties as pets!

I'm going to drink a cup of coffee and go out and play with my babies until Dr. gets here. I know they'll forgive me soon after...but I've never done this before so I don't know what to expect.

Thank you all for your helpful comments, thank you Liz, I know you don't disbud, but I have both horned and unhorned goats and I got "hooked" pretty good early by one of the Cashmeres (by accident, she wasn't trying to hurt me). I just think this is safer for my grandkids, I have several bucklings and I just think their lives will be better disbudded.

So, here goes, I have my pups tails docked...this can't be worse then that, right?

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, we're done! That wasn't so bad...well the kids didn't like it much...but they are already playing and jumping around. Deep sigh of relief.