The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My latest doe kids are about 3 weeks old and not yet disbudded. My disbudding iron that I ordered came in late today. It was supposed to arrive last week but a back order kept it from shipping. Anyways, the horn buds are more developed and just starting to grow out of the skin, but still covered by hair. They still fit in the disbudding tip so can they be done?

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
as long as they fit you can do them however the more grown out they are the more chances of scurs..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
They can still be done it will just take a little longer. You may also have to re-burn in a couple weeks. I wouldn't wait any longer though. I burn for 15 seconds then put ice on their head to cool it off then burn again. I pop the button off and flatten it. They seem to do well with this. I haven't had to reburn any this year but I did last year. I didn't burn as long last year. I then spray the area with Scarlex antibacterial spray. Hope this helps and good luck!!:D

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Doe kids are easier to do later :) If you shave the area, you can see the diameter of the bud much better, a new iron stays hotter longer and heats up faster... do a 6-7 second count on each side, remove the caps and repeat, less chance of scurs. I did my first doe kids last year and not one has scurs... bucklings on the other hand didn't fair so well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts