The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20190516_185241.jpg
20190517_014423.jpg
So, I disbudded my 2 bucklings last night, first time ever doing this. 1 if the sites is oozing a little. I applied blukote last night, do I need to reapply every so often ir do something else?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the disbudding work out okay for these kids?
1 seems to be fine, the other had some regrowth. At work now but I'll try to get pics added later. The second 1 we did actually had the regrowth. I think the wife and I were so traumatized at that point we may not have done it long enough. Actually tried to redo last night, but the growth was fairly thick or long and i am not sure if enough came off? As in the first time the cap popped off, I did get something to come and it bleed. Cauterized really well on the top of horn bud. So frustrated and upset over this. The one habmving issue is the 1 I have a buyer for and we were keeping the other 1

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Eeew. Been there, done that! I hate having to redo them. I have a couple of bucklings I'm having to keep an eye on now. *sigh* And - oh my word - It absolutely never fails for me that SOMETHING pops up with any goat I own who has a buyer coming. I think it's a conspiracy.

I know none of that is helpful advice, but at least you can know you're not alone. Please do post a pic or two of the problem head. There are smart goat people here who can help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone in another forum suggested that it is soft flesh growth, not horn? It is also very sensitive to the touch ( infected ?)

·
Super Moderator
58,881 Posts
I would take them to a vet. You need someone who can physically look at them. Looking at pictures is not the same as seeing in person. That looks like horn to me. Get them to the vet to be sure you don't have a flat funky horn growing. You certainly don't want that.

·
Super Moderator
58,881 Posts
That doesn't look right. I would have a vet look at them. It is too hard to tell exactly what is going on from a picture.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This looks like what happened to mine this year. I thought I had the disbudding down, and I burned everyone down to the bone, Copper rings, etc, and then some came up with exactly what you have. And this wasnt my first time disbudding either! The horn grows under the scab, then it pops off, scabs again, pops off, etc. Just spray it with fight bac or any antiseptic spray and it will eventually heal, but the horn will eventually grow all funky. You can trim it off later when they are older with a wire saw on a regular basis if it grows into their head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This looks like what happened to mine this year. I thought I had the disbudding down, and I burned everyone down to the bone, Copper rings, etc, and then some came up with exactly what you have. And this wasnt my first time disbudding either! The horn grows under the scab, then it pops off, scabs again, pops off, etc. Just spray it with fight bac or any antiseptic spray and it will eventually heal, but the horn will eventually grow all funky. You can trim it off later when they are older with a wire saw on a regular basis if it grows into their head.
The problem is, someone wants to buy him. But they absolutely do not want horns, they are not close to me either si continuing to fix it for them is not really an option. Not sure what to do, was going to try to reburn but afraid the 1 at least is so tall it will not be effective. I dont know if I can burn, cool head with ice and reapply iron to get down close to skull si it does not keep coming back?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts