The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, we disbudded two Nubian doelings. I have watched our breeder disbud our goats in the past and we decided this was the year to jump on in. My husband finished the box yesterday and I got my Rheinhart X50 ready. I spent probably four hours on the internet reading, reading, reading, and looking at photos of what I needed to do. Well, everything went fine EXCEPT I didn't get a complete copper ring around. The rings were black and copper. I did each side twice - first for 5-7 seconds and then again for 3-4 seconds. Now, the girls are fine, but I am worried that I didn't do it long enough. What do you think? (Disclaimer: I also posted this on Homesteading Today)

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
well it might have been enough or it might not have been. If in a couple weeks you see nubs growing you can hit them again for another 10 seconds per side.

Do you have pictures of what the burns look like?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I take the iron and make a big X across the bud itself, after I've burned twice. So far every doeling I've done have been perfect. But, I have to be a little more aggressive with the boys, they seem to grow again, it must be the testosterone. Since you did doelings and I've heard Nubians have slow horn growth anyway, I'll bet you did just fine. I had to go back and burn a second time on a couple of boys, I actually hated that more then the first time! So, I hope you don't have to do it again, but if you do, don't wait too long, get it right away. :hi5:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's blurry, but my darn camera is smarter than me.....

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I never do it that short a time frame myself. I always burn for much longer and a minimum of 2 times per side but many times I burn 3-4 times depending on how much work I have to put into getting the cap out.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
disbud the same way you did it the first time just longer. Hold for more like 10 seconds and make sure you press down -- dont worry you wont burn their skull - and rotate (you dont have to do a full circle but manuver the tool in a circular motion one way and then back again the other way)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, do I do it again now or do I have to wait until the scabs fall off? Also, do you rock the iron around or just rotate it? I just feel terrible about this! I wish I lived near other goat people.....

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
tell me about it!! I hate it every year.

I would do it now, it is less painful and a better chance of it actually working. If you wait another 4 weeks or so for the scabs to fall off then the horns could be to big to do

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. We decided to go ahead and give it another go. So, we just did both doelings and I sure hope this time we did it right! Both girls have nice copper rings. I stink like......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts